Differences in shaft performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in shaft performance

Not sure if this video has been posted before but I thought it rather interesting.

The cue maker in the video here is of the opinion that closer growth rings equals stiffer shafts. He also has a few other interesting theories about what makes a good shaft. Goes on further to talk about how he has perfected the laminated shafts, which seems to be gluing bits of wood together to make a complete shaft. Quite unheard of in snooker cues to the best of my knowledge.

Should I be taking this with a pinch of salt? ..

http://www.meuccicues.com/engine/swf...flv&volume=100

More videos can be found at:

http://www.meuccicues.com/video.html
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Hard to say really as people have different opinions on the subject. A lot of people seem to think that maple shafts are more reactive to applying spin to a ball so they can get more than what they would with an ash cue. If laminated shafts were all that then im suprised some of the uk makers havn't started making them. Vids are interesting though.
    Last edited by narl; 24 March 2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Hard to say really as people have different opinions on the subject. A lot of people seem to think that maple shafts are more reactive to applying spin to a ball so they can get more than what they would with an ash cue. If laminated shafts were all that then im suprised some of the uk makers havn't started making them.
      True, opinions may differ but this stuff is coming from a well-known cue maker, albeit in American pool cues. Surely, he can't be making some offhand, unsubstantiated remarks and then puts it on his website?

Very curious indeed.
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Dave Coutts has made cues with laminated shafts

http://www.couttscues.co.uk/images/c....0/supreme.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
          Dave Coutts has made cues with laminated shafts

http://www.couttscues.co.uk/images/c....0/supreme.jpg
          Isnt that the cue with the artificial grain arrows on it?

Comment

Kevin DeRoo makes laminated shafts quite a lot, but I'm not sure if he does both ash and maple. A lot of players swear by his cues

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Just had a look-see at Coutts' and Deroo's website. It must be painstaking work to get all those ash grains matched up for a laminated shaft.

On the Meucci videos, he mentioned about holding his cue with the black/red dot facing up to get the best effect from the shaft. I think it's interesting that that's rather like snooker players holding the cue facing in a consistent manner.

I've consciously made a habit of holding my ash cue with the arrows facing up and now find it awkward to play otherwise; it feels different when previously it does not. Is it all in my head?

Just wondering about the video... can a cue really be made such a way that by holding it in a certain way can, in a manner of speaking, bring out it's full potential?
              Last edited by damienlch; 24 March 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

holding a cue particular way does cause it to play differently for certain shots. i use a meucci blackdot shaft, and it does play different if i hold it differently. a lot like my ash snooker cues. especially playing side

Comment

Originally Posted by knox View Post
                  holding a cue particular way does cause it to play differently for certain shots. i use a meucci blackdot shaft, and it does play different if i hold it differently. a lot like my ash snooker cues. especially playing side
                  If that's the case, wouldn't players using cues with maple shafts and rounded butts be disadvantaged? They can't tell which side they are holding.

Hmmm, unless the dots were there as a way to mark the cue so that it can be held in a consistent manner, leading to consistent shots and thus gives the impression that it plays better than unmarked cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                    Not sure if this video has been posted before but I thought it rather interesting.

The cue maker in the video here is of the opinion that closer growth rings equals stiffer shafts. He also has a few other interesting theories about what makes a good shaft. Goes on further to talk about how he has perfected the laminated shafts, which seems to be gluing bits of wood together to make a complete shaft. Quite unheard of in snooker cues to the best of my knowledge.

Should I be taking this with a pinch of salt? ..

http://www.meuccicues.com/engine/swf...flv&volume=100

More videos can be found at:

http://www.meuccicues.com/video.html
                    gud man interesting post all the same tho

Comment

Originally Posted by the nugget View Post
                      gud man interesting post all the same tho
                      Thanks... I find the vids informative... just not sure how much of it is factual and how much of it is... well, spin.

Comment

I think there is quite a lot of spin there. I had one of their cues, and it really did have very little throw but I found that it wasn't very solid in the butt. In fact, a certain degree of flex is built into the butt to help reduce the throw and that is a very different approach to most other major manufacturers of American style cues. To me, this meant that power was lost for the long screw shots, but the cue was very responsive in short to medium range.

The other downside of some laminated shafts is that they may get sticky more easily due to all the glue lines.
                        Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                          I think there is quite a lot of spin there....
                          Lol, I had the same impression.

....The other downside of some laminated shafts is that they may get sticky more easily due to all the glue lines.
                          I guess that would be minimal if the cue was sealed properly. Call me old fashioned but personally, I don't like the idea of sticking different pieces of wood together to build a shaft... just seems to me that it'd not be errrr woody enough... if that makes any sense...

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                            I guess that would be minimal if the cue was sealed properly. Call me old fashioned but personally, I don't like the idea of sticking different pieces of wood together to build a shaft... just seems to me that it'd not be errrr woody enough... if that makes any sense...
                            I agree. To be honest the shaft itself was solid enough, and the OB1 shafts in my experience are quite solid too but I prefer the Mezz shafts which have a conventional type shaft with some kind of insert. Very good shafts those.
                            Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

I agree. To be honest the shaft itself was solid enough, and the OB1 shafts in my experience are quite solid too but I prefer the Mezz shafts which have a conventional type shaft with some kind of insert. Very good shafts those.
                              I have a Mezz EC7 (Wenge) with the WD700 shaft. Looks good, plays better. Especially liked how the joints fit snugly together.

Comment

Working...
                              X