Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is the best snooker cue.

Hi!:snooker:
    I'm looking to buy a new cue for myself, and I've checked the net for this for so long.
    There is 2 cues I've short listed.
    1. Acuerate Pro
    2. Mike Wooldridge (Legend Series Cue)

I like acuerate cue for it's saying lowest deflection, and Mike's cue after readings the comments, I've seen on his website written by the cue buyers.
    After all the time spending looking for the right cue, I don't wanna go wrong, and I can't effort buying such cues again.
    I'm buying the cue just because I love this game like hell, and fullfilling my dream of buying such cue that a professional uses or of their match.
    I'm the biggest fan of Ronnie the "Rocket".
    What is striking in my mind is that Mike's cue is more expensive then Acuerate pro, but is it really worth paying more or the acuerate pro is the perfect choice for me?
    The other matter striking in my mind is that, I've heard that acuerate is lowest deflection cue, but needs lots of practice to get on,in the other hand Mike's cue are confident builder right away.
    So anyone who have used both please suggest the right one for me.
    Thnx.

From what I've read Acuerates are pish. They have a very cheap look to them as if they're made in Asia for barely a third of their retail tag and that's being generous.

Never tried a wooldridge cue but many owners own here would put them many orders of magnitude better than the "Acuerate".
    Last edited by narl; 26 March 2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

which is the best snooker cue.

The best cue in the world, is the one that feels comfortable to you, be it a cheap £20 cue or one at £1000. Haven't played with one of Mikes yet, but he seems to take pride in his work and be picky about the quality of his own work, so at least with him, you are at least guaranteed a great cue... Whether its right for you is another question. No 2 cues play the same hence why so many forum members are constantly buying and selling cues in the hunt for 'the one' lol

Good luck with your search anyway

Comment

which is the best snooker cue.

Out of two you said it's MW everytime
        And probably some you have not

Comment

Cannot comment on the acurate cues, but mikes cues are superb i was lucky enough to own one of mikes early cues and what a cue it was i phoned mike up told him what specs i wanted and he said the specs i wanted was the same as his own cue and that he had one already done, anyway i bought it and what a superb cue it was back then i paid just £250.

2 lads in my snooker team have his 3/4 jointed cues and they play superb for the money and craftsman ship and the fact that mike knows his stuff forget the acurate cues at the end of the day it`s all technique but mikes cues just make you feel a better player just by holding one he really is the MAN.

If you have got the money trust me you wont ever regret buying one of his cues.

Comment

Acuerate cues are nothing special and in my opinion not worth what they charge for them.

Although Mike Wooldridge has high prices you will get exactly what you pay for and you will get a cue that is comparable to the best cues in the world made by anyone else (although I know Mike would say his are the absolute best, bar none since he is known to have a comfortable amount of ego

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Added bonus of MW cues is that re-sale value of his cues is and will remain far in excess of the Acuerate. If , heaven forbid , the MW does not suit ( and you will have to give the cue a fair and lengthy trial ) , then MWs hold their value very well.

Comment

Mike's cue have magic feel.
                The best!!! Not one of the best.

Comment

I have been considering buying a Wooldridge cue but have a few questions of his cues to help me make my final decision

I've had a Parris Ronnie style cue and it was a pile of crap

I had a mastercraft basic ebony butt cue which was reasonable so was considering having a slightly fancier one created by them but I just cannot get hold of Dave to get my order going. I believe he is having some family issues, so I feel for him but I want a new cue!

Mike has some ash and maple deluxe sharks on his website for £250

My 1st question is are these actually any better quality than most other makers as they are in the same price bracket?

And do you only get a truly decent cue off mike with that ‘magic’ feel when you’re spending £600+

To be honest I would have just taken a punt on one a long time ago for £250 and hoped it was as good if not better than other makers as people suggest but what really annoys me with mike is the extortionate rates he charges to alter an off the shelf cue.

I want half an inch length taken off and 1mm off the tip and that costs an extra £80?? I have considered buying it as it is and paying someone else £30 quid to alter it to my specs but to be honest I don’t really want to buy a new cue than have to send it off somewhere straight away to have it altered, and it may make it feel like its not a Wooldridge cue anymore?!! Thus also if I pay mike for alterations it makes what was a reasonable priced handmade cue become quite expensive!

Before anyone suggests it, yes I have contacted mike about the alterations and he advised there is no negotiation on the price! He was meant to be having a look around the workshop to see if he had anything with the specs I want lying around and get back to me but never has.

Maybe he will see this thread and have some input?

I am considering just paying for the alterations if someone tells me it’s defiantly worth it for the shark series or maybe I won’t if you say you only get a top cue for the big money mike prices!!!

If I don’t find the cue any different to other makers I could just bang it on ebay and some silly person will pay well over the odds for it!

Thanks for your help
                  Dan

Comment

Why don't you try to buy a used one?

Comment

Originally Posted by superman32 View Post
                      Why don't you try to buy a used one?
                      Will struggle to save on that as they hold their retail value very well

Comment

Originally Posted by tsering View Post
                        Hi!:snooker:
                        I'm looking to buy a new cue for myself, and I've checked the net for this for so long.
                        There is 2 cues I've short listed.
                        1. Acuerate Pro
                        2. Mike Wooldridge (Legend Series Cue)

I like acuerate cue for it's saying lowest deflection, and Mike's cue after readings the comments, I've seen on his website written by the cue buyers.
                        After all the time spending looking for the right cue, I don't wanna go wrong, and I can't effort buying such cues again.
                        I'm buying the cue just because I love this game like hell, and fullfilling my dream of buying such cue that a professional uses or of their match.
                        I'm the biggest fan of Ronnie the "Rocket".
                        What is striking in my mind is that Mike's cue is more expensive then Acuerate pro, but is it really worth paying more or the acuerate pro is the perfect choice for me?
                        The other matter striking in my mind is that, I've heard that acuerate is lowest deflection cue, but needs lots of practice to get on,in the other hand Mike's cue are confident builder right away.
                        So anyone who have used both please suggest the right one for me.
                        Thnx.
                        There are in my opinion two ways to look at your questions. You can think of the best cue as one which you play the best snooker with. In that regard there is no definite answer as each to his own and what you love is entirely personal. If you have tried an Acuerate cue and feel that it is the best cue you have ever held then it is perhaps the best cue for you.

You can also judge a cue in terms of craftsmanship. There are things you can look for which are quite objective such as the precision of the splice work, the chevrons and quality of shaft, the smoothness of the finish, and things like that. Obviously if you find a cue with very uneven points, and feels very rough to the touch then you will not say it is one with the best craftsmanship.

When you look at craftsmanship Mike is very consistent and he is really good at what he does. His finish of butt splices are very well done and the shafts quality are usually top notch. His splice work is very precise and the fit is very tight and clean. It is obvious he pays attention to details and is a prefectionist.

Of course we all want the best of both worlds. It would be ideal to have the cue with the best playability and craftsmanship but because playability is so subjective it could be difficult. If you are buying a mass production cue or a stock cue you are limited to what you are presented with, while if you custom order a cue you can specify your own spec, and you can also communicate with your cue maker to have a cue built to as close to what you like as possible in terms of flex of shaft, chevrons, and things like that.

I also would echo with the notion that re-sale value is something you should consider and in that regard Mike's cues are way ahead.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 27 March 2012, 07:05 PM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Mike Trevor Robert and Kevin they are all know what they are doing.
                          Unlike some cue makers they do a lot talking, seems they know a alot.
                          But when you compare their works you will see big differences.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                            Will struggle to save on that as they hold their retail value very well
                            Yes they hold the resell value very well. Mike's works resell price sometimes even higher than it's retail.
                            Most famous UK brand too. Like MW TW h&O R&O JPU .
                            Even you don't like what you get, you will be able to got you money back very quick, may be you even get more than you paid for.

All you have to do is keep looking. You may get luckey and find a very decent deal.

Comment

Lol, they go for more on fleebay than they cost new!!

Damn, just as ive deciede to go for it and order one mikes website is down.........God Darn it!!!!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by superman32 View Post
                              Yes they hold the resell value very well. Mike's works resell price sometimes even higher than it's retail.
                              Most famous UK brand too. Like MW TW h&O R&O JPU .
                              Even you don't like what you get, you will be able to got you money back very quick, may be you even get more than you paid for.

All you have to do is keep looking. You may get luckey and find a very decent deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X