No announcement yet.

straight cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always aim/sight dead centered, I am right handed, and in my old stance i tilt right side of my face back just a little as it feels more natural/comfortable. However after the sight test I started to aim dead center(gotta stretch a little from my comfort zone) because that's how it showed me about my sight alignment.

Comment

how strange - maybe this helps?

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/page37g.html
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        So there's a table available, AND the cues are available. Why would anyone not base the choice on how they play / feel ?

Don't tell me . . there's no balls at this table :wink-new:

---------------------------------------------------------------
        okay, so further assume that, just IF, you tell your wife or a friend or whomever to buy a cue for you, and this person does not play any cue sports at all (for example if one of my friends go to Britain I might want him to go to get me a cue from Britain), and further assume you think all cue sellers are crooks, how would you tell your friend/relative to pick ONLY between these 2 cues?

If there are 99,999 situations where rolling does not matter, but 1 situation rolling serves as a basis for a better judgement of a straighter( and in my situation, preferable) cue, then my reasons still apply, because although in all other situations you wouldn't rely on this method, just this one situation yielding a plus is enough to say a cue that rolls better is a less flawed one.

Comment

I play a lot. Repair a lot. Make a few. I honestly couldn't care less if the cue I'm using has a bend, a wobble or whatever else in it. If it feels good to you then don't obsess over things like these. My old wooldridge is as straight as a banana and I still knock the balls down as well as those who twitter on about deflection, throw etc. but as said in previous posts, don't roll the cue across a table to check for straightness. If you really want to do this then google local machine shops and ask if you could use their granite calibration table. It's the flattest surface you are Likely to ever find.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue_Seeker View Post
            okay, so further assume that, just IF, you tell your wife or a friend or whomever to buy a cue for you, and this person does not play any cue sports at all (for example if one of my friends go to Britain I might want him to go to get me a cue from Britain), and further assume you think all cue sellers are crooks, how would you tell your friend/relative to pick ONLY between these 2 cues?

If there are 99,999 situations where rolling does not matter, but 1 situation rolling serves as a basis for a better judgement of a straighter( and in my situation, preferable) cue, then my reasons still apply, because although in all other situations you wouldn't rely on this method, just this one situation yielding a plus is enough to say a cue that rolls better is a less flawed one.
            You're just going to keep posting until someone agrees with you . aren't you.

You are correct. I agree with you all the way.

you're wrong by the way. listen to a non-crook cue maker. Go to Mike Wooldridge website and read further.

Comment

You're just going to keep posting until someone agrees with you . aren't you.

You are correct. I agree with you all the way.

you're wrong by the way. listen to a non-crook cue maker. Go to Mike Wooldridge website and read further.
              In fact bud, I do agree with a lot of the things being said from other posters here, however, there just has been so little understanding for what I said. I can see where other's arguments came from, but some just fail to see mine.

When most people said a warped cue can roll straight, i understand that. But judging by straightness alone, the straighter cue will always be one that not just looks straight but as well as rolls straight, it's just hard science right there. Failing either would mean the straightness is being compensated in some way, that is all i'm saying. Both methods should be used to balance and offset the other.
              I simply think when someone make rolling sound totally irrelevant is nonsense.

Comment

I simply think when someone make rolling sound totally irrelevant is nonsense.
                You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but just repeating why you think your correct, won't change
                other peoples minds.
                I understand what you are saying, I just trust more, the opinion of people like John Parris :-

( " •To check your cue for straightness. Close one eye and sight down the cue, from the end of the butt through to the tip (as if you are sighting a rifle) whilst turning the cue as you sight down it. The cue should look perfectly straight and not appear to turn to one side. This is a much more reliable method of checking a cue for straightness compared to the traditional method of rolling a cue on the snooker table. Modern cues from most manufacturers are made with a slightly thicker butt half to give the cue more power. Compared to a straight taper that cues traditionally had, the gradual taper used today will naturally make the cue rock or wobble when rolled on the snooker table." ),

and Mike Wooldridge :-

( " •Do not roll a cue on a table. Why? Because it is possible for a bent cue to appear straight, and a straight cue to appear bent (trust me - I've seen it)." ).

Comment

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but just repeating why you think your correct, won't change
                  other peoples minds.
                  I understand what you are saying, I just trust more, the opinion of people like John Parris :-

( " •To check your cue for straightness. Close one eye and sight down the cue, from the end of the butt through to the tip (as if you are sighting a rifle) whilst turning the cue as you sight down it. The cue should look perfectly straight and not appear to turn to one side. This is a much more reliable method of checking a cue for straightness compared to the traditional method of rolling a cue on the snooker table. Modern cues from most manufacturers are made with a slightly thicker butt half to give the cue more power. Compared to a straight taper that cues traditionally had, the gradual taper used today will naturally make the cue rock or wobble when rolled on the snooker table." ),

and Mike Wooldridge :-

( " •Do not roll a cue on a table. Why? Because it is possible for a bent cue to appear straight, and a straight cue to appear bent (trust me - I've seen it)." ).
                  Yes, and the misunderstanding is that most people took these words as "rolling is totally irrelevant", while the message from these cue makers is instead "rolling is not as reliable" but it is NOT totally irrelevant.

And John Parris blamed much of the wobble effect to the taper, I had read what he said that's why in my original post i declared rolling to be applied for ONLY straight taper cues.

Comment

Yes, and the misunderstanding is that most people took these words as "rolling is totally irrelevant", while the message from these cue makers is instead "rolling is not as reliable" but it is NOT totally irrelevant.

And John Parris blamed much of the wobble effect to the taper, I had read what he said that's why in my original post i declared rolling to be applied for ONLY straight taper cues.

Ok, Mr Parris also talks about :-

"Compared to a straight taper that cues traditionally had, the gradual taper used today will naturally make the cue rock or wobble when rolled on the snooker table"

So you are correct.

. IF
                    you are buying an old cue, and

. IF
                    You don't try it out, but you do send your wife, or a friend who doesn't play any cue sports at all,

to buy this cue, then you could be advised to tell them to roll it on a table ( if it was available ).

Beware though, this person may just pick the one that was a pretty colour. .

Comment

Working...
                    X