Is this a Trophy cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Trophy cue?

Wondering if anyone can provide more information on the value or information about this Trophy cue? It looks like an original Brunswick but can't be entirely sure. Any Brunswick Trophy cue owners out there that can shed more light on this vintage cue and how much it's worth on the open market?

Thanks

Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

The decal looks exactly like what I have seen. The decal is very intact which is nice.
    This should be worth much more than the ones with the gold letters.
    But I am not expert on Brunswick trophy cues, Montreal Leo should know more.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

reminds me i must get my american cues on the forum and find out about them.

not sure if maybe they are carom cues? one is a longini and one a brunswick both are sort of engraved although it's hard to photograph. both are clearly pretty old and quite well made

Last edited by ADR147; 30 March 2012, 09:17 PM.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        The decal looks exactly like what I have seen. The decal is very intact which is nice.
        This should be worth much more than the ones with the gold letters.
        But I am not expert on Brunswick trophy cues, Montreal Leo should know more.
        Thanks for the feedback PQJ. I will contact Leo and see if he has any additional info.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
          Thanks for the feedback PQJ. I will contact Leo and see if he has any additional info.
          HI THE LONGBOMBER The Trophy Snooker cue that you have is a Brunswick Snooker Cue these cues were made i would say in the Sixtys or Seventys. The Dufferin Cue Company in Toronto use to make the replicas of the Brunswick Snooker Cues and the dufferin cues would show a D on the Butt of cue which was made by Dufferin Cue Cpmpany. If it shows a D on butt of cue its made by Dufferin

Back in those days these cues were selling for $17 to $20 dollars. which was a Ebony black Butt.

It would depend on condition of your cue and also is it straight

A Trophy Snooker cue woukd be valued between $300 to $500.00 dependng on condition

I hope this information helps you

Cheers Leonard

Comment

Hi Leo,
            If you look at the bottom of the prongs, they are flat rather than pointed, which look just like the Dufferin blanks on their trophy cues.
            Are the Brunswick ones (the original ones) also flat or are they pointed? I am talking about the shape of bottom of the prongs where the ebony meets the maple--on this cue it is like a "U" with a flat bottom, but I seem to remember they were pointed like a "V" on the early Brunswicks but I cannot remember if that is true so I cannot be sure...
            Thank you.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
              HI THE LONGBOMBER The Trophy Snooker cue that you have is a Brunswick Snooker Cue these cues were made i would say in the Sixtys or Seventys. The Dufferin Cue Company in Toronto use to make the replicas of the Brunswick Snooker Cues and the dufferin cues would show a D on the Butt of cue which was made by Dufferin Cue Cpmpany. If it shows a D on butt of cue its made by Dufferin

Back in those days these cues were selling for $17 to $20 dollars. which was a Ebony black Butt.

It would depend on condition of your cue and also is it straight

A Trophy Snooker cue woukd be valued between $300 to $500.00 dependng on condition

I hope this information helps you

Cheers Leonard
              Leonard, thanks so much for the info. I can't determine if there is a D on the butt yet as it's not in my possession at the moment. I was sent those pictures by the seller of the cue. Once I have the cue in my hands, I will post some new pictures and have a better look at the cue.

Comment

Hi Leo,
                If you look at the bottom of the prongs, they are flat rather than pointed, which look just like the Dufferin blanks on their trophy cues.
                Are the Brunswick ones (the original ones) also flat or are they pointed? I am talking about the shape of bottom of the prongs where the ebony meets the maple--on this cue it is like a "U" with a flat bottom, but I seem to remember they were pointed like a "V" on the early Brunswicks but I cannot remember if that is true so I cannot be sure...

Thank you.

HI Poolquejunkie. you are right I hae checked my Brunswick Snooker cue and the points are pointed and not round i would send pictures of my cue but do not know how to do it

cheers Leonard

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                  HI Poolquejunkie. you are right I hae checked my Brunswick Snooker cue and the points are pointed and not round i would send pictures of my cue but do not know how to do it

cheers Leonard
                  If you dont mind to send them to me to auroracues at aol dot com I can post them here so others can see it.
                  Thank you Leonard.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

So if the prongs are flattened off, that means it's not a Trophy? Or it is but an older model made by Dufferin?

Comment

If you dont mind to send them to me to auroracues at aol dot com I can post them here so others can see it.
                      Thank you Leonard.
                      HI poolqjunkie sent you pictures of my one Piece Brunswick Snooker Cue hope this helps PLEASE post same on Snooker forum as i do not know how to do it

Cheers Leonard

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                        So if the prongs are flattened off, that means it's not a Trophy? Or it is but an older model made by Dufferin?
                        I am not sure. I believe they changed their name from Brunswick-Balke-Collender to just Brunswick and some cuse(or all cues) later on were made overseas. Brunswick was once the biggest cue manufacturer in the world. They had some very nice wood from Michigan at one point. They have made many models of cues (hoppe, carom king, master, denvonshire, snooker king...etc.) The trophy from what I understand was not really a high end model. I have seen several different trophy cues with different markings and pin length but I am no expert in this. All I know is that the decal is very intact which is what most collectors look for, and the decal looks the same as what I have seen.

I also notice that the blank looks very much like the trophy blanks seen on Dufferin trophy cues. What that really means I do not know. May be all trophy cues have this blank I really cannot remember. I think I have seen them being more pointy but may be some were flat and some were pointy? I also cannot quite remember what the bumper looked like but they were not the same as the Dufferin trophy cues if memory serves me correctly. I am sorry I have not really paid too much attention to trophy cues but I believe Montreal Leo should know--why is why I asked.

Someone told me once the trophy cues were made only in Canada (not sold in the US) for snooker players and the best ones were made in their Toronto plant while the later ones with the gold letters were made overseas. But I really cannot tell you with certainly because I am no expert in this. There are some collectors who really know a lot about the history of old Brunswick cues. Nevertheless, I am not one of those guys. I am sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

Pictures received from Leonard from Montreal as follows, thank you very much Montrealer.

Here are pictures of a one piece Devonshire, also by Brunswick.

Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 April 2012, 02:13 AM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Interesting. So of the pictures posted, the Trophy I posted has the blue decal. Not sure what the value is either way even with all the great info posted thus far. I guess it comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it, if it's a collectable object in someone's mind, and if it's still a good playing cue. Trophy cues were once famous for their playing characteristics and "lively" shafts and I think some snooker and billiard players may seek that out. Undoubtably the wood is old and that probably adds to it value somewhat. I have an old Riley Burwat that has a wonderful hit simply because the shaft wood is old and dense.

Comment

Exactly, that is so true. Someone out there may be willing to pay a lot for a Brunswick trophy.

I would say for someone who collects this kind of cue, $300-$500 is about right, depending on the overall condition. But you may meet someone willing pay you more. They are discontinued and are not easy to find so they are collectibles.

The market for this cue is quite limited as it basically appeals to the more seasoned Canadian snooker players, so it is really a matter of timing--just being in the right place at the right time and meeting the right buyer--if you want to sell this cue for more money.

I think you can also try to go to the forum on snookerline and try to sell this cue to the players/collectors in Ontario and the East coast. They may be more interested.

I am sorry I wish i could be more helpful.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X