Airlock joint? Please Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlock joint? Please Help...

Hello I thought airlock joints were supposed to go something like "phut" when you unscrew them? Why is mine not making any sound at all? Any ideas please?

Got a puncture?

I always thought it was more of a gimmicky name than it actually making use of any air?

Comment

Thanks for reply. Are you sure its a puncture? Could it not be something else?

Comment

They don't make a very loud noise its more to do with them holding a small amount of air inside to keep it tight. Not much really can go wrong with them. I've found if you undo them slowly and pull them apart then you get a small noise of air release

Comment

the engineering tolerances are extremely tight.

we are talking of fractions of a millimetre and if the fit is not close enough then you will lose the 'phut' but the joint works exactly the same regardless.

put some grease/vasolene on it and you will get the airlock effect.
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. There's some hope in me now.. ok so where shall I put the vaseline on? inside the vacuum end attached to the shaft?

Comment

as Sport Focus said, it's not a loud noise - hold it fairly close to your ear as you pull it apart and you should hear it

Comment

Yeh thanks for that.. much appreciated. It's just that Mike (the cue father) said to put some grease on it and ill hear it louder. Only not sure if I should put it inside the joint around the thread or then just around the outside? Id really like to hear that sucker pop as loud as possible!

Comment

Originally Posted by screw View Post
                  Yeh thanks for that.. much appreciated. It's just that Mike (the cue father) said to put some grease on it and ill hear it louder. Only not sure if I should put it inside the joint around the thread or then just around the outside? Id really like to hear that sucker pop as loud as possible!
                  well, I think Mike is suggesting grease to increase the suction of the air seal ... so either should do - put some grease on the thread or dab some inside the cylinder or even better do both ... it can't be a lot of air that is trapped so it's never going to be a massive "phut" but it is definitely noticeable if you hold it fairly close to your ear ...

[edit] ... oops ... thinking a bit more about it, I guess the airlock could well be between the outside of the cylinder of the male and the inside wall of the female part of the joint - in which case, put grease on the outside of the cylinder of the male ...

you can see why I'm not married can't you LOL ...
                  Last edited by DandyA; 31 March 2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    well, I think Mike is suggesting grease to increase the suction of the air seal ... so either should do - put some grease on the thread or dab some inside the cylinder or even better do both ... it can't be a lot of air that is trapped so it's never going to be a massive "phut" but it is definitely noticeable if you hold it fairly close to your ear ...

[edit] ... oops ... thinking a bit more about it, I guess the airlock could well be between the outside of the cylinder of the male and the inside wall of the female part of the joint - in which case, put grease on the outside of the cylinder of the male ...

you can see why I'm not married can't you LOL ...
                    lol. yes, the outside walls of the male section or the inside walls of female section.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

As respects to the cue I am no longer worried about the joint. (well not so much) Thanks everybody, and by the way I tried the vaseline, still didn't work.. Only played with it twice now, and I've closed all other doors behind me.Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X