latest Mac Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest Mac Cue

Here is some pictures of the latest Mac cue(now property of Terry Davidson).
    It has Spanish olivewood lower splices and a new type joint and ferrule.
    Attached Files
    "Don't think, feel"

Sorry terrible pictures will put up some better ones.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Looks Nice Cue and the Shaft looks a Cracker m8, Is that the New Mike Wooldridge Black Ferrule?

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
        Looks Nice Cue and the Shaft looks a Cracker m8, Is that the New Mike Wooldridge Black Ferrule?

Gaz.
        Delrin ferrule i think?

Comment

Looks nice Ricardo! Splicing looks good! Keep it up!

Comment

Looks good pal, nice shaft. What's the ferrule made out of, delrin? :snooker: Keep up the good work!
            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

I have been using this cue for the last few days as Trevor took my playing cue to do some modifications and it hasn't come back yet (Trevor...I hope you've sent it back by now - pleeeeaaase!).

The Mac cue has a delrin ferrule which was supposed to cut down on the throw as compared to brass. Dominic Dale tried out the cue and he and I both found in fact there was more throw with this cue than either my Trevor White or Dominic's Eureka he is using at the moment. We gave it a good test however I've decided to change the ferrule when I get the cue back home to either brass or stainless steel.

Remembering that this Mac cue was actually a second (points are uneven) the shaft is an excellent piece of ash and also the butt joint is down low so the cue plays more like a 1-piece cue. The weight came in at 18.27oz which was a touch lighter than I ordered and also the balance point is back a bit around 14in or so. The workmanship is very good considering Richy has just started making cues and the shaft is velvet smooth which I really prefer.

It was my bad luck the Talsiman S tip installed by Richy went spongy (I've never seen this before with a Talisman) and not having my full tip kit with me I had to install an Omin layered tip using superglue gel which is not recommended for a delrin ferrule but so far things appear to be fine. The Omin layered tips are VERY hard but the cue is playing well for me except for the fact I have to really limit the use of side due to the excessive throw the cue is getting with that ferrule (or at least I think it's the ferrule and so does Dominic).

So, all in all, considering the cue is a second and the amount I paid for it I think I got a pretty good deal but I think I will pass on delrin ferrules in the future although at some point I might try the new MW black ferrule system when Mike is ready to accept orders again.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                I have been using this cue for the last few days as Trevor took my playing cue to do some modifications and it hasn't come back yet (Trevor...I hope you've sent it back by now - pleeeeaaase!).

The Mac cue has a delrin ferrule which was supposed to cut down on the throw as compared to brass. Dominic Dale tried out the cue and he and I both found in fact there was more throw with this cue than either my Trevor White or Dominic's Eureka he is using at the moment. We gave it a good test however I've decided to change the ferrule when I get the cue back home to either brass or stainless steel.

Remembering that this Mac cue was actually a second (points are uneven) the shaft is an excellent piece of ash and also the butt joint is down low so the cue plays more like a 1-piece cue. The weight came in at 18.27oz which was a touch lighter than I ordered and also the balance point is back a bit around 14in or so. The workmanship is very good considering Richy has just started making cues and the shaft is velvet smooth which I really prefer.

It was my bad luck the Talsiman S tip installed by Richy went spongy (I've never seen this before with a Talisman) and not having my full tip kit with me I had to install an Omin layered tip using superglue gel which is not recommended for a delrin ferrule but so far things appear to be fine. The Omin layered tips are VERY hard but the cue is playing well for me except for the fact I have to really limit the use of side due to the excessive throw the cue is getting with that ferrule (or at least I think it's the ferrule and so does Dominic).

So, all in all, considering the cue is a second and the amount I paid for it I think I got a pretty good deal but I think I will pass on delrin ferrules in the future although at some point I might try the new MW black ferrule system when Mike is ready to accept orders again.

Terry
                You compare snooker cues with Dominic Dale? You legend Shame about the delrin, I imagine from what I've heard about Mike's ferrule system that you'd be more suited to one of his ferrules. Maybe you could tell us Dominic's opinion on the ferrule if you get it fitted?
                "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Thanks for the review Terry,really appreciate it. I am getting there with splices but not 100% yet.
                  Yes the delrin ferrule was an experiment and I have now started using a similar material(not acetal) one which adheres a lot better and a bit stiffer.
                  Of course some will still prefer the brass, but I, very much like mike, am very into trying new materials to see if I can get a better performance in cues.
                  Thanks Raymo, getting there but still a long way to go.
                  "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Will:

I will be back in Canada before I can try the MW new black ferrule system so I won't be here at the SWSA with Dominic so he can take a few hits and evaluate the new MW system. It would be pretty expensive for me to try it out anyway as it would mean sending a cue two ways across the Atlantic and that costs me around $100 each way so I don't know if I will be able to do it.

Richy:

I will be seeing how the superglue gel works with the delrin ferrule as I won't be getting back my playing cue from Trevor until at least tomorrow so I will be using the Mac cue all day today and will give it a good workout

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Will:

I will be back in Canada before I can try the MW new black ferrule system so I won't be here at the SWSA with Dominic so he can take a few hits and evaluate the new MW system. It would be pretty expensive for me to try it out anyway as it would mean sending a cue two ways across the Atlantic and that costs me around $100 each way so I don't know if I will be able to do it.

Richy:

I will be seeing how the superglue gel works with the delrin ferrule as I won't be getting back my playing cue from Trevor until at least tomorrow so I will be using the Mac cue all day today and will give it a good workout

Terry
                      Yeah, postage kills doesn't it. Shame... :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                      X