Re tapering an American pool cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re tapering an American pool cue

Has anyone had an American pool cue with a pro taper, re tapered with a smaller tip for snooker or uk pool?

I have yes and a m8 recently had this done to a few old pool shafts. Mind you they weren't a heavy pro taper to start with so there was enough wood left to create a nicely shaped and stiff snooker taper (think milk bottle shape in the last 12 inches). If you take a pro taper pool cue and then try to adapt it to snooker, you will find difficulty playing with it (especially long and straight shots) because it's just not stiff enough in the middle. Mind you, some wood is very good and it can still play well even when thin.

If you can find some old cues with nice stiff and dense wood, it's worth a go. I have an old Riley I recently purchased from a member here and the maple turned out to be very old and dense and good for snooker. It came to me at 11mm but I had it taken down to 9.5mm. Hit's great.
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Re tapering an American pool cue

Who retapered them for you? I have a couple of predator z2 shafts I'd consider taking down to 10mm.

Comment

Lance Mason (aka Slasher on the forums here) did the re-tapering for my m8 and it turned out great. One shaft in particular, was done with a brass ferrule and it hits superbly well. I had mine done years ago from a Dan Wutke (who sadly passed away some years ago). My m8 also had a pool laminated shaft (not a predator) taken down to 10mm. It hits well also.

Where do you live? I'm sure any decent cue repair or cue maker could do it for you. As a suggestion, ask for as little wood to be removed as they can when bringing down to 10mm.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Would really like to know specifically, if a shaft with a pro taper has been re-tapered. That the cue will not be too whippy, weak unplayable for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X