• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the butt macassar?

Comment

• Send me a pièce if you want bestis mate lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
        Same tulip as the cue made for Will Tyson, I have 2 more front splices left from this block if anyones interested.

That tulip makes for the most beautiful front splice I've seen on any cue mate...if I had the money to get myself a second one of yours I'd have one of these off you like a shot!!

Comment

• lovely looking cue
          can I ask what its specs are?
          Originally Posted by JasonOwen
          Cue made for Stephen Maguire.
          Hopefully his next playing cue.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by svendh View Post
            Is the butt macassar?
            Yep macassar
            http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
              Send me a pièce if you want bestis mate lol
              I will swap you for a couple of splices worth of that black n white moon ebony Jimbo?
              http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• Jason, you finally got snakewood!! oh well, time to save up for another cue i guess ahahhahha

Comment

• Just paid the deposit for a Jason Owen handmade ash cue... In design, it's going to be similar to #037 but with a Kingwood Splice, then 1st Veneer Ebony, 2nd Veneer Maple on an Ebony Butt. It’s simple, and hopefully striking.

I have been 3-4 wks thinking about a cue. I have looked at Peradon, Parris, Pheonix, Stamford, Coutts and one or two others, but in the end elected to go with Jason based on the recommendations I have read about through this forum.

It took a week or so to pin down the specifications, but Jason was patient and offered some good advice. I’m really looking forward to taking delivery of this cue in about 20 wks.

For those that read my Newbie Post "Playing again after a long, long time", to recap I started playing again after a break of 31 years. Back in 1982, I was Norfolk Junior Champion for the third time, a Norfolk County player and had made a handful of centuries before stopping abruptly at the age of 19 yrs old due to a totally debilitating attack of the "Yips", which dismantled my entire game in a matter of weeks.

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a new pair of Snooker Specs and last week I picked up my old cue for the first time. I had wanted to avoid playing with it because of its association with the "Yips", but I couldn't wait. I had 4 x 1 hour practice sessions doing nothing but playing plain ball blues, pinks and blacks off their spots, to feel my way round the table and to re-learn some basic potting angles. But more so, to work on my technique, which I have the opportunity to build from scratch and to that end, the advice I have read on this forum in overcoming the "Yips" has proved useful, i.e. loosening the grip, three feathers only, pauses, longer / slower back swing, eyes on the object ball as the tip is pushed through the cue ball have all proved invaluable. As yet, there are no signs of my "Yips" whatsoever and this was my worst fear, that they'd return a get me! I feel elated.

It was always going to be a big ask not to venture near a table until Jason delivers my new cue, but 5 months is a long time. So, on my fifth time at a table at the weekend, I played my first five frames against an opponent and made 3 x twenties and a thirty. I know it's not immense but it's a small a step in the right direction - not bad after only 4 hours practice in 31 years! There is hope that this little story might have a happy ending after all.

Steve
                  Last edited by Steve_Tuck; 10 June 2013, 11:13 AM.
                  Highest 109, Matchplay 70, Line-Up 125... all a long time ago.

Comment

• sounds like a very nice combo
                    what specs are you going with?

Comment

• After having a discussion about offsetting the grain arrows by 90 degrees from the flat / badge & splice / veneers, decided to go orthodox with all at 12 o'clock and then re-educate myself in terms of orientating my grip. My spec is:

Ash Shaft - 6-9 even arrows as available.
                      Butt: Ebony
                      Splice: Kingwood
                      1st Veneer: Ebony
                      2nd Veneer: Maple

Veneer thicknesses and layout to be based on Cue # 037
                      IMG_4101.jpg

Othodox Orientation (Revised):
                      Grain Arrows: 12 o'clock
                      Flat & Badge: 12 o'clock
                      Splice & Veneers: 12 o'clock

Length: 58.5 in
                      Tip Diam: 9.75 mm
                      Butt Diam: 30 mm
                      Weight: 18.5 oz

SD Butt Joint
                      Last edited by Steve_Tuck; 10 June 2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• thanks for that info.
                        I bet you just cannot wait...
                        cheers

Comment

• Yeah, I've just got to forget about it now, put it out of my mind and wait for Jason to call to tell me it's ready.

Comment

• 20 weeks .....is that all ...........7 months now and waiting .

Must say all the cues I've seen of Jason's look very nice and seem to be finished to a high standard .
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by Steve_Tuck View Post

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a new pair of Snooker Specs

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              sounds like a very nice combo
                              what specs are you going with?
                              LOL, probably the ones his optician prescribed.

Nice choice Steve, similar design also to #25, but different wood ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• The 5 months delivery time was one of the factors which drew me to Jason in the first place and made me stick with it in finalising the spec.

By comparison, for a one piece, high end, handmade cue, Parris was 10-12 months, Coutts was 2 years!!!

Jason's photo portfolio online is a real ace card, a key selling point... you can see the quality and the honesty in his craftsmanship and as he's relatively new, I'd like to give him the chance to make my cue... so when eventually (if not already) he is mentioned up there alongside the very best English cuemakers, I can say, I've got on of his cues...

Comment

Working...
                                X