Deciding on a new cue - help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a new cue - help please.

Hi guys, new to these forums and i dont know how well ill be received seeing as i am mainly an 8 ball player. But i do like to hit the big table when i can.

I am looking for some advice on the makes of cues and if this matters at all.

To give some background i have been an above average casual player for a while, and i have finally taken the plunge and joined a team. Im looking to upgrade form my £50 peradon cue to something a bit more substantial.

I have mainly been looking at some of the cue craft cues and some of the master craft cues. I understand that a nice cue should be hand spliced, ebony but etc etc. but there are so many on the market i dont know what to buy. Am i looking in the right region?

so far this is my favorite cue that i have found:
    http://www.cuecraft.com/zcstore/inde...roducts_id=601

MY budget is ~£200 for cue and case, but willing to go higher if i like the cue.

some friendly advice please

What area are you in?
    Always a pleasure

Comment

hi Boris , it would help if you told us what specs you want as there are always cues going here that will suit your spec and your budget .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
        hi Boris , it would help if you told us what specs you want as there are always cues going here that will suit your spec and your budget .
        Yes Hotpot is right, I have an older cue craft monarch cue and case for sale if the specs are right.

Comment

First thing is to find out what spec suits you best. Length of cue, weight and tip size. For a budget of £200 I would steer clear of cue craft etc, for that money you can have one made by someone like craftsman or Andy Travis or even go for a Mike Wooldridge shark which will blow your socks off compared to a cue craft.

Another option is to look out for a decent used cue, which for that money might actually be your best bet. There's a Mike Wooldridge on eBay at the minute for starting bid £140 and a nice Tony Glover that might end up a little but not too much more than your budget. There's usually some decent cues going in the for sale section in here too

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys!

i was considering getting one made, but it seems a little too expensive for cue and case, but its something i may consider.

As for the Specs, Ash Shaft, 8-8.5mm tip, 56-58" length and 17-19oz weight. Weight i am kinds of open on, as its something that i will just get used too.

also something else to consider is a 3/4 join or 1 peice. Is there any real difference or is it just convenience for travel?

Comment

Visit craftsman cues website. Cue and case for those spec. Would cost you around £200 for a hand spliced panther cue or similar. 8mm tip is small for snooker matey. Length of cue is down to individual. Just depends on your height mainly. If you're less than 5'06" then anything less than a 57.5 would suit you. Weight wise. If your playing pool you probably like the heavier cue. So anything around 19oz should do us. Although some pool payers prefer lighter cues. A good exercise for your prefered tip size at playing snooker. Is to stroke a few shots of the white ball only up and down the table hitting the ball at centre points up and down the ball. If you have good cue and cue ball control with a small tip and the white ball does not veer to the side then you're fine. If it starts going of course it could be your tip size choice or your cue action is off. Most likely is the tip size for snooker is too small. Most players have it around 9.5. To get maximum variety of shots from different positions on the table. Shots become increasingly difficult from the cushion or bridging over balls if you have a small tip. Hope this helps.

Michael
              Always a pleasure

Comment

Cheers michael!

Agreed on the tip size, however my main game will be 8ball, snooker will be more of a friendly knock about with some friends. So the smaller tip will be more beneficial. Guessing that kinda throws out buying one from you guys then

Also im based in Kent if that changes anything as per your earlier question.

Comment

You can get an 8mm - 8.5mm tip from craftsman cues for your budget easy. They're a good solid cue. Wish you'd have posted this message three days ago. My mate had a 8.5 mm tip master cue one piece for sale. It went straight away to an 8 ball pool player. You pool payers love your small tips. Go on the website and look for yourself. They're a quality cue maker who have made cues for numerous pros and steady players. There are loads to chooser from.

Good luck
                  Always a pleasure

Comment

about the one piece thing? is a 1 piece any better than a 3/4 join, is there any difference at all?

Comment

I have both. I get better reaction from my 3/4 cue. However my one piece plays better and gives a more solid feel. A good tip helps too. The new laminated tips are great for a solid strike and generate more cue ball reaction/movement :-)
                      Always a pleasure

Comment

I dont think you should be using anything above 18oz for either sport but everyone prefers something different.

15-17oz will make a great pool cue.

From reading your posts all I can take for certain is you want an ash shaft. This is good for you as it means there is a fair bit of movement and willingness to get used to the cue.

Before you get hung up on it too much, I would get yourself on the phone to somebody who stocks many cues, explain the situation and ask for their help. There are professionals and will be able to provide a cue which will suit and you will feel comfortable with.

You could try ADR on here, craftsman cues or greenbaize.

Good luck

Comment

Can't go far wrong with a black shark from Mike wooldridge played 8 ball at county level for a bit and must say for feel and responsiveness you wont get much better.I'm using a 8.5mm tip and 18 ounces.perfect for 8 ball

Comment

Working...
                          X