Retipping question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retipping question!

I'm attempting to retip my cue for the first time. I took off the old tip with a sharp blade and it looks like a tiny bit of wood has come out the top, leaving a dip.. will this affect the new tip when I put it on? if it will, what should I do about it?

Also, there is some glue on the side of the ferrule, this doesnt really matter, but it would make it look better if it wasnt there.. any ideas on how to get it off?

Thanks.

Remove the glue from ferrule with fine 0000 wire wool. Just go round in one direction. As for the tip the glue may fill the dip but i would fill the dip myslef before gluing the tip, You could try a small drop of epoxy then wait for it to harden, scrape it flat then re-glue tip as normal. I did this on a mates cue a while ago and it sounded fine and the tip didnt come off.

Comment

cheers for that mate. i'll see what I can do

Comment

Take your time when taking a tip off. I find the best way is to slice the tip off a little further from the ferrule first, and then hold the blade while I twist the cue to orange peel the last portions of the tip off the ferrule. When I get close and down to the glue layer, I take a bit of time with gentle scrapes with the blade. Make sure the blade is sharp. Brass tends to get cut fairly easily with steel blades.

The idea of filling in the gap with epoxy is a good idea. A flat surface is rather important to get a consistent hit and feel. If you don't like that idea, you can have the ferrule faced off on a lathe by a proper cue repairman but understand this could change how your cue plays.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

i dont think you should fill any gaps, the ferrule should be level, file it down untill it is level, then fit the tip

Comment

if i get glue on the ferrule when retipping, i use a scalpel and chip away til its almost gone, then use a bit of finest grade wet and dry on the ferrulle to smooeth and poish it back out...
            with the dint you have done taking the tip off, next time dont slice right at the bottom of the tip leave a tin layer on then sandpaper it off....

best bet nowt is to smooth it down and get it flush again and then retip, if you are not confident with this get your club to do it for you or someone you trust with your cue.

Comment

Working...
            X