Old cue resurrected courtesy of Andy Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cue resurrected courtesy of Andy Travis

I wanted some alterations doing on a cue I had for some time and i finally got around to sending it off to Andy Travis for the work. Ive had a fair bit of work done by Andy before, including joints and additional splices and have always found him to be easy to deal with and the results always good (quick too).

The work i wanted doing this time was to an old 1 piece machine spliced powerglide that had a fairly nice shaft but too small a ferrule. I asked Andy about taking a bit off the tip to get to a 9mm ferrule and also correspondingly lengthening the cue to compensate, effectively making it a handspliced cue - he said no problem. Well, I received the re-incarnated cue yesterday (I only sent off the cue last week!) and im very pleased with the results. Im looking forward to trying it out, but it looks and feels very good. travis cue.jpg

Looks lovely mate, he's top class
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Looks great! Any more pics? Did he re-splice whole new butt?

I'm sending him my old rosewood Riley 3/4 machine spliced cue soon for a re-furb and re-splice. Cant wait!

Comment

Originally Posted by safe t boy View Post
        Looks great! Any more pics? Did he re-splice whole new butt?

I'm sending him my old rosewood Riley 3/4 machine spliced cue soon for a re-furb and re-splice. Cant wait!
        Ill see if I can take some more pics. Yes he re-spliced the whole butt, so is now a handspliced cue, just what i was after . Im sure you'll be very pleased with whatever you get Andy to do for your cue.

Comment

Andy is top bloke- he respliced an old inexpensive cue of mine with some Burr to contrast nicely with the flamed mahogany butt, added a butt joint and provided an extendable mini butt for not too much outlay.Quality of finish was excellent. Hope photos below do it justice but I was very pleased with his work.

regards sprogbasket

Last edited by sprogbasket; 27 April 2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Looks great Sprogs!

Nice. I've got this old machine spliced Riley cue with rosewood butt. Used to do them in Argos catalogs for about £65. Anyway the one I have is sentimental and also happens to have a Lovely grain pattern. In fact its almost perfect. The shaft was allways slightly warped and after sitting unused for a few years got really bad. About 2 years ago I tried to re-finnish it and bodge my own SD join using a join from an old cue. It went horribly wrong and the butt got badly split. Recently I decoded I had nothing to loose and tried to straighten it. To my surprise I not only managed to bend it back to straight, it has also stayed that way too. I mainly play pool nowadays and the old Riley originally had a 9mm ferrule that after years of polishing is now more like 8.7mm, so ideal for pool. So I decided to make an enquiry with Andy about having the shaft re-spliced with rosewood to get rid of the machine splices. He will also be repairing the splits in the butt and adding a decorative front splice and re-doing the brass join. Its going to make a cracking cue and really cant wait to get it sent off to Sheffield! I'll post pics when done.

Comment

Originally Posted by Qubit View Post
              Ill see if I can take some more pics. Yes he re-spliced the whole butt, so is now a handspliced cue, just what i was after . Im sure you'll be very pleased with whatever you get Andy to do for your cue.
              Looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

PS: I've had a repair done by Andy before.

See 'Triggers Cue' here: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...+craft+peradon

Comment

Working...
                X