Retapering older cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retapering older cues

I have an older one-piece Burroughs and Watts cue with 9mm tip and nice thinner taper which I like playing with. Weight 16.2oz and length 56.75". I'm finding my other cue - a similar older model with 10mm tip and thicker taper towards the tip - a bit thick for me.

So general question - for older cues with 10mm tips, what's the typical work involved and cost range of having them retapered to a thinner taper and 9mm or 9.5mm tip?

What happens if the cue is slightly off straight - how does that affect the retapering? Quite a few older cues are not 100% straight!

I'd be interested to hear from cuemakers who generally do such work, and just general views on the subject!

Andy Evans

Most cue makers could straighten it at the same time - price depends where you go, and who does it.
    ~Lower end of £30-£40 I'd imagine where I get mine done, and that would inc a new ferrule and tip.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

£30-£40 sounds about right. I'm in London but could ship a cue. Someone not too far from me in Hammersmith could mean I could deliver and collect. Andy

Comment

Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
        £30-£40 sounds about right. I'm in London but could ship a cue. Someone not too far from me in Hammersmith could mean I could deliver and collect. Andy
        No wonder I retired poor,never charged more than a tenner.

Comment

Can you be persuaded out of retirement???? If so you're welcome to make me an offer I can't refuse....

I can't help wondering if retapering of older cues isn't more common - I can see leaving collectible cues original, but for medium value cues surely most players would prefer 9mm to 9.5mm?

Andy

Comment

Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
            .....surely most players would prefer 9mm to 9.5mm?...
            9 mm is a bit on the small side for snooker. 9.5 to 10 is much more common i would say

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
              No wonder I retired poor,never charged more than a tenner.
              were they the white £10 notes then andy lol didnt thinkk you were as old as me

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                were they the white £10 notes then andy lol didnt thinkk you were as old as me
                Nice one auld yin.

Comment

Working...
                X