Cue shortening testimonials/feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue shortening testimonials/feedback

Thinking of taking a 57" ash cue down about 2".

I know a few people on this forum have tried this before and was wondering if I could get some feedback as to playability, feel, balance, hit. Etc... After the cue was shortened.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
    Thinking of taking a 57" ash cue down about 2".

I know a few people on this forum have tried this before and was wondering if I could get some feedback as to playability, feel, balance, hit. Etc... After the cue was shortened.

Thanks!
    I had 1" taken off my cue, an it played better for me, but I think the cue (58") was a bit too long for me anyway.
    I'm 5'6", and found that I could easily miss-cue when playing down on the white, over another ball.
    Made me think it was my shortosity( LOL ) meaning I held the cue quite far from the butt, and as such, made the tip feel light, when
    holding it even farther forward during said playing over another ball.

Worked for me, but it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

2" is quite a bit. My cue originally was made at 55" because I had it in my head that I wanted my hand to be at the end of the butt for every shot. Fine in an around the black area when playing short positional shots and actually is nice and compact. However, when cueing over distance, or needing power its far too short as you need that extra follow through to generate the necessary power. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. Better to have a cue too long than too short.

Comment

I agree with cueman and just an inch shorter would feel quite different. You could always experiment with the balance and see what that does. Of course adding or subtracting weight permanetely is not always ideal.

Comment

I wouldnt Personally take 2" off thats quite alot try 1" off and see how it feels, As sometimes you Alter a Cue and its Never the same again as I have found out in the past.

Ideally you should have a Cue Made the Right Length/Weight/Tip Size from the Start as then its made for that Length etc and will feel alot better, As some people take a Cue Down and the Weight then feels very funny!

Comment

I've had 4" taken off one of my old snooker cues from 55" to 51". I also had them take out all the artificial weight from the cue so went from 16oz to 13.2oz.

As you can imagine the cue now feels nothing like it used to.

I guess if you get it shortened from the shaft end it should still feel similar but the balance will shift and make it feel a little heavier (subjective) as you will be holding the butt end 2" nearer the end compared to before.

Comment

Taking 2" off also may change the flex of the shaft and the cue will play completely different. I would think a 55" cue would only fit a player who is around 5ft4in or shorter or who has pretty short arms. For anyone around 5ft9in to 6ft2in a 57" or 58" should work fine and also once you shorten the cue there's no going back and if you don't like it then you have to sell it but not many are in the market for a 55" cue so you might be junking it

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
              X