Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handmade cue

Hi chaps
    got a 3/4 cue lovely ash shaft with ebony tulip and thuya burr spliced butt 57: long 18 oz 9mill ferrule wooldridge tip stunning cue was 1piece but made the fatal mistake of gettin it split for carryin purposes avent played a decent game since comes with new expensive peradon halo case made cue was made by alan day not ya cheap import rubbish

will take £150 or will do deal on a old walter lindrum/joe davis or why try me pics can be sent on request

unsy10@yahoo.co.uk

paul

If you want to email me pics I may be interested: willtyson147@hotmail.co.uk I will upload them on here as well for you if you like?
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Hi Paul,

I feel for you! I was on the point of having my Burroughs and Watts cue split for carrying purposes. Hadn't played with it for a while. Took it out again to try it and I'm glad I did! I'm converted back to one piece cues. For some reason I'm preferring lighter cues these days - just over 17oz is about my limit. I was told that the brass joint weighs about 2.5oz so it must be a bit of a challenge to keep the total weight down to 17oz with a joint in it.

Mind, I'm sure it's a great cue and many like the heavier cues.

Good Luck!

Andy
      Last edited by andyjevans; 3 May 2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
        Hi Paul,

I feel for you! I was on the point of having my Burroughs and Watts cue split for carrying purposes. Hadn't played with it for a while. Took it out again to try it and I'm glad I did! I'm converted back to one piece cues. For some reason I'm preferring lighter cues these days - just over 17oz is about my limit. I was told that the brass joint weighs about 2.5oz so it must be a bit of a challenge to keep the total weight down to 17oz with a joint in it.

Good Luck!

Andy
        I have to say i used to play with 3/4 cues around 19 oz for years and never felt like
        i was getting the best out of my game. I purchased a cheap 1 piece maple permac
        cue a couple of monts ago and have been playing the best snooker of my life.
        The feel and touch you get from 1 piece is far superior and i have sold my parris
        and wooldridge 3/4 on the basis of my performance. Even though they are a pain
        to transport the effort is worth it for me as i will never go back to 3/4 and my cheap
        old £30 pound permac is a keeper for good.

Comment

Originally Posted by belld View Post
          I have to say i used to play with 3/4 cues around 19 oz for years and never felt like
          i was getting the best out of my game. I purchased a cheap 1 piece maple permac
          cue a couple of monts ago and have been playing the best snooker of my life.
          The feel and touch you get from 1 piece is far superior and i have sold my parris
          and wooldridge 3/4 on the basis of my performance. Even though they are a pain
          to transport the effort is worth it for me as i will never go back to 3/4 and my cheap
          old £30 pound permac is a keeper for good.
          Sorry forgot to say i have gone down to around 17.5/18oz from 190z and
          this has helped with my control around the pack and with touch shots.

Comment

Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
            Hi Paul,

Good Luck!

Andy
            Andy - interesting thread on cue weights and joint weight here (right near the end!) : Here

Cut n Paste of Trevor White's comments:
            trevs1
            15th April 2011, 11:31 PM

Old School.....

A naturally weighted one piece cue of the sort of dimensions you suggested earlier (9mm to 29mm with a taper of 14mm at 12" from ferrule) is unlikely to turn out at 17oz's, even with a joint weighing 1oz fitted to it. Practically all one piece (hand spliced) cues will have had some weight adjustment, because the timber alone would not provide sufficient weight to make the cue feel like a finished cue, but more like a pencil. As you rightly point out, timber does vary in natural weight, so a heavier shaft may well give a cue of around 16oz's or perhaps even a bit more if it was of a good sturdy shape and taper, AND, was made with timber of pretty extreme weight, but that would definitely be the exception and NOT the rule in one piece cues. Machine spliced one piece cues (especially ebony butt versions) are a little different in that the butt is solid timber, so, adding considerable weight to the overall finished cue. 16oz's to 17oz's or perhaps a little more is far more achievable for this sort of cue with no added (or artificial) weight.

Artificial weight does nothing to harm the feel and performance of any cue, and as I've already mentioned, in one piece cues is pretty much always a standard feature. I'd bet that there isn't anyone alive who could tell whether a cue did or did not have some weight added to it simply by using the cue. The most important aspect of getting a cue to feel right for any player is just that, getting it to feel right. The means of "how" that is done is fairly irrelevant.
            Unweighted cues can/do weigh as little as 13-14oz. I have Jason Owens 001 cue which was before he'd attempted reweighting, it weighed just over 13oz (if memory serves). It wasn't made to be that way, so I it done at Craftsman to 17oz to finish it off.
            Last edited by perpetualboredom; 3 May 2012, 07:26 PM.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi will sent you some pics by email wud apreciate if you cud put them on

many thanks paul

Comment

Here are the pics: photo(8)[1].jpgphoto(7)[1].jpgphoto(6)[1].jpgphoto(5)[1].jpgphoto(4)[1].jpg
                "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                X