Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which top players use one-piece cues, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which top players use one-piece cues, and why?

I'm wondering which top players are currently using one-piece cues? What reasons have they expressed for sticking with one-piece cues?

Is there a trend towards more 3/4 cues, or is there any kind of trend back to one-piece cues?

andy

3/4 cues have been much more prevelant over the last 20 or so years but the last few years more 1 piece cues seem to be cropping up again. Out of the top 16 theres about 6 or 7 that use a 1 piece cue currently.

Comment

I have the following as using 1pc:
      Carter, Dale, Ebdon, Higgins, Ding, Maguire, Murphy, O'Sullivan, Selby, Walden, Higginson, Lisowski

That is not to say there are others or have recently changed (Dale ) that also us a 1pc.
      If anyone has good info for these or others (1pc or 3/4) please let me know
      cheers :snooker:
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Carter, Maguire and Ronnie all use 1 piece cues. So does Murphy, Dott, Selby, Ding, Higgins and Lee. Robertson, Stevens and Allen all use 3/4 split cues. Don't know about the other current top 16.

Comment

Here's my knowledge of the top 16:

Selby, Trump, Murphy, Higgins, Maguire, Dott, Ding, O'sullivan, Bingham all use 1 piece. Think the other 7 use 3/4 :snooker:
          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

I think Lee and Walden are 1pc not 3/4

Comment

Lee deffo uses a 1 piece.

Comment

You are correct both Lee and Walden both use 1 piece cues.
                "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

So the current (after China Open 2012) top 16 (+Carter) listing (as I see it):
                  1 Selby 1pc
                  2 Trump 1pc
                  3 Robertson 3/4
                  4 Williams 3/4
                  5 Murphy 1pc
                  6 Higgins 1pc
                  7 Maguire 1pc
                  8 Lee 1pc
                  9 Dott 1pc
                  10 Ding 1pc
                  11 Allen 3/4
                  12 Gould 3/4
                  13 O'Sullivan 1pc
                  14 Stevens 3/4
                  15 Walden 1pc
                  16 Bingham 1pc
                  17 Carter 1pc

Top 16 = 11x1pc + 5x3/4 = 68.75% 1pc

Comment

Is Maguire the only one of top 16 who prefers Maple?

Comment

Stephen Lee also has a Maple cue, Maple (in the past at least) also seemed to be more preferable to Asian players than Ash for some reason (doesnt seem to get sticky as fast as ash in hotter cliimates i think), Ding uses an Ash cue though.

As to the reason of why people use a 1 piece cue, some say the cue has a better feel when playing shots. Not really noticed it myself and i use 3/4 and a 1 piece cue regularly.
                      Last edited by narl; 6 May 2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Does Steven Lee play a maple shaft? Hendry does.....or did, not that he's in the top current players anymore.

Comment

Yes Maguire and Lee play with maple shafts.
                          The others that I have notes of are Hendry, Fu, John Spencer, Terry Griffiths and Joe Johnson; and I think Fred Davis.

Comment

Virgo and Thorne mentioned yesterday during commentary that they used Maple when they were playing although Virgo moved over to Ash at some stage and stuck with it.

Comment

Dennis taylor mentioned he prefered maple as didnt get so sticky playing in the hotter climates.

Comment

Working...
                              X