Ferrule thickness on my Mike Wooldridge cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrule thickness on my Mike Wooldridge cue

Good morning everyone I hope some of you can shed some light on the above topic. I am the very proud owner of a Wooldridge cue which I have recently purchased second hand. I have just removed the tip to replace it ( advice on which tip to use for pool and snooker much appreciated ) to find quite a thick walled ferrule. I've had other very well known cues and the ferrule has been much thinner, is this something that Mike likes to use in his cues ? I'm going to put on one of his super tips today and see how the cue plays but wanted some advice in the mean time.
    Many thanks guys

Mark

Hi Mark which MW Super Tip are you going to Fit? The Green MW Super Layerd Tip which comes 5x in a Pack or the 3x Brown Laminated Tip.

I have tried Both Tips the Layerd Tips are very good and dont need hardly any knocking in and feels very good, The Laminated Tips seem very Hard at present but I have only fitted it this week but does seem solid which im Not really Used too as I normally use Layerd Tips or Talisman Soft on my Own Snooker Cues which are Definately Not as Hard as this MW Laminated Super Tip.

Comment

Hi mate it's the layered tip I brought from ADR they came in a pack of 5. Any thoughts on the ferrule thickness ?
      Regards
      Mark

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark62 View Post
        Hi mate it's the layered tip I brought from ADR they came in a pack of 5. Any thoughts on the ferrule thickness ?
        Regards
        Mark
        The best person to answer this will be Mike.

I personally prefer a ferrule short at around 5-6mm

Apart from the ferrule, how is the cue??

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
          The best person to answer this will be Mike.

I personally prefer a ferrule short at around 5-6mm

Apart from the ferrule, how is the cue??
          I think he means the thickness of the ferrule Jaff rather then the length .

Comment

Yes I did mean the thickness not the length. Scott its great mate thank you I drove 400 miles to get it yesterday as wanted to make sure it was what I wanted. I've put the new tip on and the ferrule thickness hasn't made a difference for pool. It may do for snooker with heavier balls of course but I'm delighted. I hope Mike does comment on here as it would be interesting to know if there was a science behind it.
            Regards
            Mark

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark62 View Post
              Yes I did mean the thickness not the length. Scott its great mate thank you I drove 400 miles to get it yesterday as wanted to make sure it was what I wanted. I've put the new tip on and the ferrule thickness hasn't made a difference for pool. It may do for snooker with heavier balls of course but I'm delighted. I hope Mike does comment on here as it would be interesting to know if there was a science behind it.
              Regards
              Mark
              Argh, I understand!

I hope this is the one you happy with Mark ,text me some photos when you get chance.

Comment

Mark:

I have found the lighter the ferrule then the less throw a cue will give when using side (or accidental side). Generally I like my brass ferrules to be shortish (5-7mm or so) and thin walled.

Now in saying that, as long as a player uses any cue long enough he will eventually learn the correct amount of aim-off when using side but for a not-so-skilled player who does get unintentional side with his delivery I would think a lighter ferrule would be to his advantage

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                  Hi Mark which MW Super Tip are you going to Fit? The Green MW Super Layerd Tip which comes 5x in a Pack or the 3x Brown Laminated Tip.

I have tried Both Tips the Layerd Tips are very good and dont need hardly any knocking in and feels very good, The Laminated Tips seem very Hard at present but I have only fitted it this week but does seem solid which im Not really Used too as I normally use Layerd Tips or Talisman Soft on my Own Snooker Cues which are Definately Not as Hard as this MW Laminated Super Tip.

'Pressed'....

Comment

Working...
                  X