Mad to get this fixed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad to get this fixed up?

Little cue ive had since December of 96, it was really my first decent cue but has taken a battering over the years, its one of those newer style "burroughes and watts" cues with an ebonex butt. Has numerous sanding marks on the lacquer, butt has the lead weight flaring out and the shaft needs real attention. That being said though the shaft has a very nice grain (has about 6 nicely spaced arrows right upto the ferrule) and it was a great playing cue. The restoration would be a major one, lead weight would need yoinked out, damaged wood cut off, a real hand spliced butt that would also serve to extend it to 57 inches from its current 55. Shaft also needs all the lacquer stripped off and a lot of sanding to get rid of any old sandpaper marks, retapered and a little part of the top of the cue would need cut down as theres a chip out of the wood. would also need reweighted, tipped ferruled etc.

Ive been informed though that sometimes these cues arent one piece at all and there can be a machined joint hidden under the lacquer that would make the chances of it remaining a one piece pretty slim. Ive actually gone through this type of restoration before with a cue shaft that i had respliced and a new butt made for it, this though could be more complicated and a bit more costly.

Last edited by narl; 20 May 2012, 10:34 PM.

Lol, it would be quite a job. Andy Travis seems to be popular for repairs at the moment, who were you thinking of sending it to? Would like to see what a cue maker could do with it :snooker:
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

If it sentimental to you then why not. Its a nice grain pattern on the shaft and your probably very familiar with the hit and how it plays so could end up with something you really love. I would second Andy Travis. Any other cue maker will either turn you down or charge an arm and a leg. Andy will do a brill job at a decent price and in a short time frame. Thoroughly recommend him.

Im planning to do something similar with a battered old cue I've had for years. Its not worth much but the shaft is great so I contacted Andy for a quote and was very surprised at the price. Cant wait to send it off and let him do his magic on the old girl!

Comment

In touch with Andy at the mo to see if I can something sorted

Comment

Think prayer might be a better bet.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
            Think prayer might be a better bet.
            To tell you the truth most of it is on the surface of the cue, i think the hardest part would be to get the lead weight removed without losing too much length. Currently the butt end looks like this:

Comment

Have you Tried Tony Glover? as hes a Real Gentlemen who is always willing to help out when he can.

Heres his Number: 01283 550551

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                Have you Tried Tony Glover? as hes a Real Gentlemen who is always willing to help out when he can.

Heres his Number: 01283 550551
                Shot Tony an email last night as well, just waiting to hear back from both.

Comment

is that a tip or just some fungus growing ?

harhar !

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
                    is that a tip or just some fungus growing ?

harhar !
                    Remnants of one, not been used in over 10 years

Comment

That must be where the expression "butt ugly" comes from. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                      Originally Posted by narl View Post
                      To tell you the truth most of it is on the surface of the cue, i think the hardest part would be to get the lead weight removed without losing too much length. Currently the butt end looks like this:

The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                        That must be where the expression "butt ugly" comes from. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                        Yup, that happened after about a year of use, the leather pad fell off and the lead weight was so close to the bottom it just started spreading out after a while. As you can see it started to push through the wood where the badge was.

Comment

Andy has accepted the challenge so to speak, cue should be with him for friday

Comment

Look forward to seeing the result!

Comment

Originally Posted by safe t boy View Post
                              Look forward to seeing the result!
                              As am i, the shaft was always very nice on this cue, would have been my playing cue for much longer if the butt hadn't split and the weight flared out. Just getting it done with a plain black ebony butt, probably end up looking quite similar to this cue which has pretty long splices as im having this one done, 6-7 inch splices.

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ghlight=travis
                              Last edited by narl; 20 May 2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X