Any joints weighing 1 to 1.5 oz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any joints weighing 1 to 1.5 oz?

I have a typical older one piece cue weighing 16oz. I would like a weight of between 17 and 17.5 oz. I'd also like a balance point not less than 17". Rather than drilling up the cue and putting a weight in, it seems to make more sense to add a joint.

So, what joints weigh not more than 1.5oz and ideally a trifle less? And who fits them?

This must be a very common situation with a whole generation of older 1-piece cues, so what are the usual fixes?

Andy

To keep balance point high, the option of putting in a joint would make sense. It depends where you are but any decent cue doctor would be able to do that.
    You can reduce the weight of a joint and still keep the feel by using a pin type joint and washers just to protect the edges of the wood. Or go for invisible joint.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Hi Doctor!

Do you have any images of a pin type joint?

I was reading:

http://www.blackboarcustomcues.com/h...?CTID=250&IID=

You could take a very heavy piece of wood, 29” long and establish a balance point, and then a very light piece of wood, 29” long with a steel joint on one end and a steel weight pin on the other and establish the same identical balance point. ...Congratulations!! You’ve established a balance point. The question is - do you think these cues play the same? Finding the balance point tells you only where the balance point is. It does not reflect the distribution of weight in the cue.

Clearly balance point isn't the whole story, but a joint seems logical. There may be other ways of doing it?

Comment

Mike Wooldridge has an invisible type joint that weighs only around 3/4 oz.

Not sure if he sells them separately or if he has to fit it for you?

Comment

I don't have one to hand but I will try to get a picture but if you google snooker cue pin joint on images you should find one. It can also be achieved by using an aluminum pin and thread. That will keep weight down and as there is still wood to wood there shouldn't be a lot of movement through time if it is glued in properly. In the past I have used a standard m10 thread stainless steel rod into steel female. Not as light but still a bit lighter than full brass joint.
          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Don't worry about images. I found plenty under pool cues. I assume that's what you mean. They have the wood-to-wood you are talking about. Is this important? Seems to be important for feel in pool cues. Brass joints are brass to brass as far as I can see.

andy

Comment

Yes pool joints use pin system with collars.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Working...
              X