Ash or Maple Shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash or Maple Shaft?

I'm thinking of making the switch from an ash cue to the maple. I need to know what the differences between the two are other than appearence if there are any. Also, whether or not you feel a big difference when switching from ash to maple as I'm aware maple is very plain with no chevrons and less visible grain. Is it a risk switching or will I almost certainly adapt with no drop in my game?

The simple answer is - personal preference really
    have a look here http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm for some good advice and then search the cue section of TSF as this question has been asked and answered many time
    Personally I went from mapel to ash, not major problem for me with no drop (the opposite in fact), but I am looking to go back to maple with my next cue (I love the clean look of the maple).
    Others have gone from ash to maple and then back again, others stayed with the maple. As said, personal preference and also down to the individual cue itself.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I can only say with maple its a bit like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. If you have used an ash cue for a long time I would say don't make the change. However if you're a young player starting out or have not used an ash cue for long then you will probably adapt to maple more quickly.

Its very difficult to describe the difference in the two woods, other than the obvious, the grain, smoothness etc. All I found with the maple cues I've had in the past is that you need to time the ball better with maple, however if you do the results are fantastic, ash seems to be a more forgiving wood but maybe that was me struggling to adapt to the cue.

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice. The reason for wanting to switch is for the look of maple, I think it looks fantastic. I guess I will grab a maple cue out of the cue rack and see what cueing is like with maple. If I'm finding the centre of the white I'll probably go for a maple cue. Can always go back to my ash cue if needs be.

Thanks again!

Comment

It feels great (maple), so smooth. It picks up the dirt and shows dirt easier, so there's more cleaning. And you have to clean it more, to stop it stickings, as it's a smooth, close grained wood. Playing with it, I found it to be rather stiff, which is fine for stun and run through, but not so nice sounding and feeling for spin shots. I guess timing is the thing, as mentioned above. Glad I've gone back to ash tbh. Have a think about pear, the smoothness of maple and the whippyness of ash apparently. Worth a go.
          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Silicone Tips and Graphite/Carbon cues

Has anyone tried these silicone tips for snooker. They're from Oz?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190605692182

Looks interesting.

And does anyone have a graphite/carbon fibre cue for playing snooker, and what's it like?
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Haven't tried either of the above. Prefer to stick to the traditional kit really.

Comment

Sorry to dig out old thread.
                Have been reading and hoping to find the answer(Will Never) and seem like ash wood can play better than maple(Of course many will disagree), have spoken to players that I met or reading from the threads, below are some points that cue maker, players, cue sellers claimed:

1. As a general rule, maple does tend to be a little 'harder' than Ash
                2. I had 3 maple cues that where all a bit too lifeless. So got a ash still stiff but seem to be able to shift the cue ball about ok.
                Also I had a very flexible maple that was hopeless if you where a bit off you would miss by miles
                3. Some shot that ash wood perform on cue ball, maple wood can't have the effect
                4. many find maple difficult to control the cue ball, or master the maple shaft.

If I am a new player, which I am. I will sure go for ash shaft if I am buying a cue base on the above.

I may be wrong, any maple user have any comments or advise?

Comment

I use maple, tend to do alright with it. Certainly no problems with responsiveness.

Every wood is different, I don't think the species matters as much as people make out.

I play with maple because I played with an Ash cue for years which had no visable grain for the first 18" from the top of the shaft.
                  I don't like to be able to see the grain.

The only problem with maple is that I am constantly wiping the cue down. Every time I use the rest I have lines appear on the shaft.

Comment

I don't think Ash v Maple is so much about Playability more about look and feel, both can make superb playing cues and cues that won't suit people as much.

I've had a some cracking maple cues and some cracking Ash cues, if anything in general i have found maple ever so slightly more responsive than Ash.

Comment

With so many cues being produced today with crappy looking Ash Shafts I'm amazed more folk havnt switched to Maple. Unless your prepared to pay high prices for ultimate Ash shafts you dont know what piece of poo your going to end up with.

My next cue will be a maple shaft.
                      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

100% maple for me, as don't like the feel of ash through my bridge hand and there is less whip with the maple shaft I have on my Mastercraft Emerald Gem.

I won't be going to back to ash anytime soon.
                        Justin - The Cue Store - Handmade and Bespoke Cues, Bespoke Fibreglass Cue Cases, Accessories.
                        Website - The Cue Store - E-mail - sales@thecuestore.co.uk - Tel - 01892 882787
                        Skype - thecuestore1 - Whatsapp - 07810 635004
                        Facebook - Like The Cue Store - Twitter - Follow The Cue Store

Comment

Working...
                        X