Shorter cue is it better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter cue is it better ?

Just reading a old book by Cliff Thorburn in the section on cues he states the following The cue should reach within 2 - 3 inches above the armpit going by this I am 5,10 inches and by Cliffs reckoning would need a 55,5 inch cue this appears a bit short ! I have noticed that some of the Pros do appear to use cues shorter than the standard length any comments ?

Would say it's down to personal preference.
    My brother plays a Parris that is about 2cm shorter than my standard TW and I subjectively hit the ball better with his cue.
    Thinking about having mine shortened ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
      Would say it's down to personal preference.
      My brother plays a Parris that is about 2cm shorter than my standard TW and I subjectively hit the ball better with his cue.
      Thinking about having mine shortened ...
      surely using a shorter cue, compacts the action. less chance for error in the action.

Comment

I guess it depends on your action. I use a 59 inch cue and I'm 6 feet tall and have absolutely no urge to shorten it. I like being able to fully stretch out when cueing. Trump looks quite stretched at times. Maybe it's just a case of shorter cues play better generally. You hear people say that it makes for a more compact action with less room for error but then again it could cause some tightness. It reminds me of the Waugh brothers that were in the Australian cricket team. One had a shorter, compact style and generally stayed in longer and the other a more open and flowing style. The second of the two looked much better when his timing was at its best. Just not as consistent. I feel that in the long run its better that a cue be a bit long especially for learners. It will be interesting to see how Brecel develops with the lenghthy cue and action.

Comment

On the John Parris site he states you should have 1 inch of butt behind the little finger of your grip hand with a 12 inch bridge distance ! this would make standard cues 58 inch rather long for people in the 5 ft 10 inch range bearing in mind you should have a straight right arm (Grip Hand) down to the cue in your normal address position.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
            On the John Parris site he states you should have 1 inch of butt behind the little finger of your grip hand with a 12 inch bridge distance ! this would make standard cues 58 inch rather long for people in the 5 ft 10 inch range bearing in mind you should have a straight right arm (Grip Hand) down to the cue in your normal address position.
            I agree with JP here, except that I think the bridge distance can be anywhere between 8 and 12 inches (personal preference) meaning the cue length will vary based on this.

Whether this means a 58 inch cue or not depends on a persons arm length, including the ratio between upper and forearm lengths. Most people follow a similar pattern in that these lengths are relative to each other and that their total arm span is equal to their height, give or take an inch or two. So, because of that, and the average male height, you can say with a bit of confidence that the average length will be 57-58 inches.
            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Shorter cue is it better ?

My main playing cue is 56 3/4 inches in length. I just snagged an olde ash replica which is 58 inches and I don't find too much difference between them really. I thought 58 would be too long but really there's not much difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                My main playing cue is 56 3/4 inches in length. I just snagged an olde ash replica which is 58 inches and I don't find too much difference between them really. I thought 58 would be too long but really there's not much difference.
                How are you holding the longer cue? Specifically, are you gripping further up? or Are you making the bridge distance longer? or (neither) are you changing the angle of your grip forearm instead?
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Just depends on how much cue you like over your bridge hand and if you like holding the very end of the cue or not....all down to perosnal taste and probably has alot to do with the first cue you played seriously with.
                  Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                    How are you holding the longer cue? Specifically, are you gripping further up? or Are you making the bridge distance longer? or (neither) are you changing the angle of your grip forearm instead?
                    Depends on the shot really, for long pots I grip around the badge area, in and around the table with shorter range shots I'm holding it slightly above the badge. My bridging distance might be slightly longer but it's not that noticeable to me. Have to look at it more tomorrow as I only played for a half hour with it today

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                      May I ask how tall you are ?

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                        May I ask how tall you are ?
                        About 5 foot 9 or so.

Comment

I think John Higgins uses a shorter cue than most, possibly around 55/56 inches ?

Comment

I put up many posts with regards to length of the cue and have tried cues as long as 59 and as short as 55. I'm now of the opinion that a short cue restricts your range of shots and a fluent player does not want to keep adding a screw in extension to the cue.
                            I think the important thing here is the amount of cue you leave in front of your bridge hand. You should aim for a short over hang, the exact figure is up to you. But say you have a really long cue and you want a short bridge overhang you will need to shorten the cue by moving your hand up the shaft. Now you will find that the cue has lost it's balance.
                            so this is the way I see it...
                            long cue, short bridge, requires a forward balanced cue.
                            Short cue, short bridge, normal balanced cue but has limitations with shot selection
                            long cue, long bridge = disaster
                            perfect length, perfect balance, I'll let you know when I find it lol.

Comment

Why cant you just adjust your grip back or forth instead of paying for and going through the invasive procedure of altering cue length/weight etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X