Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important lesson about how to deal with cues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    I cannot believe you even put a new cue in one of those stupid holders bet you dont do that again.
    ditto x1000

Comment

I knew from the get go that it was my fault but still I figured that the unfortunate circumstances of what happened would lead them to offer doing it for free, especially if as you say it's a small matter that takes not too long to sort out.

Still you guys convinced me and I will agree to pay for the repair. It's just a real hassle to have it posted and since there are no local professional I don't really have a choice. I could actually just let it be as the scratches don't really have an impact on the way the cue plays (which by the way is TOPS!!) I don't know we'll see.

About that rack/holder... In the one year I have spent practicing on that snooker table I have never ever even been close to hanging one of my cues on it. It was very late the day it happened, probably around 2 or 3 am when I decided not to wait for the next day and try my new cues right away and that is probably why I wasn't paying too much attention and decided quite randomly to use the hanger.

Well at least I gave some of you guys a good laugh

Comment

Get rid of that cue rack, BURN IT!

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
          Get rid of that cue rack, BURN IT!
          or send it to somebody you don't like.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just leave it like that. As you may put more dents on the cues after use.
            It always hurt the first time, but after sometime use you won't care about it anymore.
            Or if you are not going to use the cue or just for collection, you just use a glass cup buff the area should be much better.
            Or you can buy a dent buffer.

http://www.pooldawg.com/product/cue-doctor-dent-buffer

here is the link. I use it and it works ok. But don't do it with the whole shaft. only the small area because it won't be as smooth as
            it new after you use the dent buffer. Do it slowly and carefully. Don't use steam it will cause the grain raise and i also think steam the shaft will change the feel of a cue as water goes in the wood even you dry it right away .

Comment

Originally Posted by superman32 View Post
              Just leave it like that. As you may put more dents on the cues after use.
              It always hurt the first time, but after sometime use you won't care about it anymore.
              Or if you are not going to use the cue or just for collection, you just use a glass cup buff the area should be much better.
              Or you can buy a dent buffer.

http://www.pooldawg.com/product/cue-doctor-dent-buffer

is the link. I use it and it works ok. But don't do it with the whole shaft. only the small area because it won't be as smooth as
              it new after you use the dent buffer. Do it slowly and carefully. Don't use steam it will cause the grain raise and i also think steam the shaft will change the feel of a cue as water goes in the wood even you dry it right away .
              Glass will do the work. Had few dents and glass always worked like a magic
              Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

How exactly does the glass method work? Ive seen some people say it just flattens the wood so you can no longer feel the dent, but if thats the case surely you'd feel flat areas on the shaft?

Comment

It is an easy fix , but my advice is that if it has no effect on how the cue plays, save your money and leave it alone.The scratches will be a constant reminder not to do that again, harsh but true.Over time constantly wiping the cue down after every session etc you wont even notice.

Comment

Important lesson about how to deal with cues!

A nice little trick I use is a piece of delrin rod or PVC pipe at a push. Rub the plastic over the dented area length wise up and down the cue with a little but now too much pressure. It might take a little while but be patient and the dents will smooth themselves out and you won't have actually removed any wood from the cue. Don't know why it works but I swear by it

Comment

Another way to remove scratches or even small dents is to water the wood. You can use spit if you like, it rolls away less easy. Apply spit/water to only the affected area. Do this until you notice an expansion of the wood back to the plane of the surface of the cue. Another method is to fill the scratches or dents with something like superglue gel, then sand down to a fine finish with a fine needle file. Watering is best because you add nothing and take nothing away, and gel works ok too and you can't see it as it dries pretty translucent.
                      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

@Guy3103
                        would it be possible to post some pictures of the Stamford Series1 cue, please?
                        they are rarely seen compared to the common cuemakers like JP, TW, etc...

(uhh, first post...great forum, go on guys!)

Comment

Thanks guys for all the advice but I'm not sure whether I can pull this out by myself although the scratches are not that serious... It just bothers me that it's a brand new cue that's all If it would have happened with one of my older cues I wouldnt have been that upset.
                          I've never tried to fix dents as my cues never experienced any, so trying out glass, spit or glue I might cause even more damage and with the money I spent on this one and the 6 months wait It's just not worth the risk.

Welcome to the forum Shohin, I will try and post some pictures later today. Let me just say that The cue they delivered me with stands at least equal with all the great one's. It's a mystery to me why they are not very popular among members here

Comment

Originally Posted by Guy3103 View Post
                            Thanks guys for all the advice but I'm not sure whether I can pull this out by myself although the scratches are not that serious... It just bothers me that it's a brand new cue that's all If it would have happened with one of my older cues I wouldnt have been that upset.
                            I've never tried to fix dents as my cues never experienced any, so trying out glass, spit or glue I might cause even more damage and with the money I spent on this one and the 6 months wait It's just not worth the risk.

Welcome to the forum Shohin, I will try and post some pictures later today. Let me just say that The cue they delivered me with stands at least equal with all the great one's. It's a mystery to me why they are not very popular among members here
                            Use the glass!!! It takes 2 min top and it safe. did it with my TW cue few times and always works and safe!
                            Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

thanks guy3103!...really appreciate being a member here...one of a kind forum....
                              for me it is also not clear why stamford is not so popular. Ok, they are famous for their cases (i have one which is really a beauty) but somehow disregarded when it comes to cues. I let them add a single rosewood splice onto my cue 2 years ago and they made a great job. Moreover, the communication with them was a real pleasure (quick and always very nice): for me, my next cue will definitely be a stamford ride:

Comment

Hi if your careful you should be able to use a cloth with a small knot tied in, wet the knot and leave it on the damaged area for a few hours, not to big or wet though, just repeat over any marks then use a little oil when finished..I have done this many times it works very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X