No announcement yet.

How To Smoothen Cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a can of SILICON SPRAY, short burst onto a tissue then run the tissue up and down the cue.

Comment

When a cue is sticky/squeeky after oiling it is often because too much oil was applied and allowed to dry, without the excess being wiped off immediately after application. Applying light coats is best between drying and buffing.
      A cue left like this can be rescued without sanding, just takes ages and ages of vigorous buffing
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just completed it with the candle and it has the job very well il stick with that and forget the oil I think

Comment

I just can't imagine this candle wax idea feeling nice ????

Comment

I didn't till I tried it was a tip from my dad who was in the music game he said thats what he used to do on the neck of his guitars to protect the wood

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              When a cue is sticky/squeeky after oiling it is often because too much oil was applied and allowed to dry, without the excess being wiped off immediately after application. Applying light coats is best between drying and buffing.
              A cue left like this can be rescued without sanding, just takes ages and ages of vigorous buffing
              I just applied raw linseed oil as I've found it being sold in a paint shop near my house. I believe I might have applied too much onto the cue. I covered the top with a piece of cloth and dropped 3 drips of oil and rubbed it on the cue.

Now the cue isn't really sticky but maybe a little squeeky imo. Would wiping it everyday help?

Comment

Originally Posted by The roberts View Post
                I didn't till I tried it was a tip from my dad who was in the music game he said thats what he used to do on the neck of his guitars to protect the wood
                Mind sharing what trick is this? My friend say he applied a little car wax onto his cue after applying the linseed oil. Tried his cue just now, freaking smooth.

Comment

Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
                  I just applied raw linseed oil as I've found it being sold in a paint shop near my house. I believe I might have applied too much onto the cue. I covered the top with a piece of cloth and dropped 3 drips of oil and rubbed it on the cue.

Now the cue isn't really sticky but maybe a little squeeky imo. Would wiping it everyday help?
                  Buffing with a dry cotton cloth will help, and it is often advised to wipe the cue like this when taking the cue out of the case, during play, as you put it away, etc., so you could say wipe it often yes
                  Also, what helps is playing with clean dry hands, that helps the feel of the cue. In the past a friend said their cue felt sticky but too me it was nice, I said about washing and drying his hands, boom sorted
                  If you mean "wiping" as applying raw oil (or any coating) everyday - then NO
                  That would be waaayyy too much.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I used very little oil I just think its crap in my opinion I know a few other lads who think the same so now use wax has a much better feel going through your hands by a mile and no need to have to buff all the time

Comment

Originally Posted by The roberts View Post
                      I used very little oil I just think its crap in my opinion I know a few other lads who think the same so now use wax has a much better feel going through your hands by a mile and no need to have to buff all the time
                      How do you use the candle wax trick? As in the procedure to it. Just use a candle and roll it up and down the shaft?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        Buffing with a dry cotton cloth will help, and it is often advised to wipe the cue like this when taking the cue out of the case, during play, as you put it away, etc., so you could say wipe it often yes
                        Also, what helps is playing with clean dry hands, that helps the feel of the cue. In the past a friend said their cue felt sticky but too me it was nice, I said about washing and drying his hands, boom sorted
                        If you mean "wiping" as applying raw oil (or any coating) everyday - then NO
                        That would be waaayyy too much.
                        I'll wipe everyday. I have a little sweaty palms so I believe wiping it everyday would be a better idea since it won't take long anyway.

Comment

Wax is only good for a short time as it will start to pick up dust and dirt.

Comment

Just rub the candle over cue and buff in job done just do it little and often beats that oil all day long

Comment

I use raw linseed oil, but the cue doesn't stay smooth for long. i have been just putting one coat every couple of months. i will try to put a few coats this time to see if it makes any difference.

i read somewhere that using a wax after using the raw linseed gives it a better sheen and makes it smother. what do others think of this would it be necessary after oiling.
                              the idea is that the oil seeps into the grain to protect it and the wax seals it...i don't know if this is a good idea or not, i've never tried it.

Alabbadi

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                                I use raw linseed oil, but the cue doesn't stay smooth for long. i have been just putting one coat every couple of months. i will try to put a few coats this time to see if it makes any difference.

i read somewhere that using a wax after using the raw linseed gives it a better sheen and makes it smother. what do others think of this would it be necessary after oiling.
                                the idea is that the oil seeps into the grain to protect it and the wax seals it...i don't know if this is a good idea or not, i've never tried it.

Alabbadi
                                This was what i did.

From the start, read online and etc then went to purchase raw linseed oil. Didn't know actually 1 drop was enough, i had 3 drops onto a piece of cloth and wiped along the cue. Let it dry for 1 night but apparently 3 drops is more than enough. Buff for 1 whole day as I was on school holidays and spent the whole day watching dvds. It was not sticky but neither was it smooth going on my bridge.

I then applied alcohol and wipe it along the cue very thoroughly from top to bottom a few times and left it to dry. I then applied 1 coating of raw linseed oil again. Left it to dry overnight again and applied a little car wax onto it. Checked around with the school team's coach and he said that this won't affect the wood and etc. Just that it might catch dirt faster than usual thus wiping it often would be ideal.

Now my cue is very smooth on my bridge. The feeling is like you playing with powder on your bridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X