Getting old cues refurbished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting old cues refurbished

Hi guys , just wondering , would getting an old cue refurbished (such as a joe davis 147) decrease the value of it in time or would it not make any difference at all?? Thinking of getting one refurbished just to keep in a collection but dont want to completely devalue it be doing it. But if it doesnt devalue it i was thinking of getting it done.

STEVE DAVIS = BEST THERE WAS, BEST THERE IS, BEST THERE EVER WILL BE. PERIOD!!

Hi Dave,

Nice to heard this topic. actually while playing with cues for such a long time it's become a part of our daily. And after getting old it need to replace. But i didn't do so. I keep my old one with care as a collection, cause these are a so valuable things for me.
    Pool Cue Cases

Comment

Getting old cues refurbished

Dave. I have seen the pics of your joe Davis and I have the exact same cue. They're not worth that as much as some of old cues as there's a few around. As it happens I made the decision only yesterday to have mine all refinished but kept the original ferrule. Just had it polished up. It'll also make it easier to play with.
      Last edited by Saint Michael; 12 June 2012, 06:57 AM.
      Always a pleasure

Comment

I think if its going to be a playing cue then having it refinished can only be a benefit but some collectors only want original cues.

I think the value of the cue / collectablity of the cue also plays a part, if you refinished a fairly common Joe Davis or walter lindrum then it will prob stay the same or maybe increase if very playable.

If the cue is a Ye Old Ash or something which is not to be played with, I would say true collectors would want an original untouched cue so refinished may decrease in value.

Be interested to hear thoughts of Mike, Jason, Jim etc who have collected many cues over their time.

Comment

depends on the cue - if your not sure leave it alone would be a general rule.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
            I think if its going to be a playing cue then having it refinished can only be a benefit but some collectors only want original cues.

I think the value of the cue / collectablity of the cue also plays a part, if you refinished a fairly common Joe Davis or walter lindrum then it will prob stay the same or maybe increase if very playable.

If the cue is a Ye Old Ash or something which is not to be played with, I would say true collectors would want an original untouched cue so refinished may decrease in value.

Be interested to hear thoughts of Mike, Jason, Jim etc who have collected many cues over their time.
            I agree, although people do collect the likes of Joe Davis 147's or at least have them in their collection, there are so many about that anyone who wanted to collect a mint but original cue can do so easily. It's only with the high value cues that you might lose money if start 'improving' it, if you're talking cues picked up sub £50 then you're more than likely adding to the value because the main people bidding on cues like that are players wanting to try out an old cue, rather than anyone who wants one for their collection. Dave Smith would probably shoot me for saying that, but persionally I like to give an old cue new life and get it playing again where possible if its not an 'endangered' one.

It's all down to your expected market should you sell it on, collector leave it as it is, player then it's more appealing if straightened, polished up and shiney - especially if you use someone like Dave Coutts or Robin Cook.. just adding their name to an auction can make the prices soar although you'll pay a premium for the work I expect.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
            X