One piece vs jointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One piece vs jointed

I have always played with a 3/4 jointed my curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a one piece cue ok ! it may be just a (MIND THING) as its been stated that there is no difference between a GOOD JOINTED CUE and a one piece but I without doubt play better with the one piece, my touch shots round the black and cue ball control around the blue appear more natural I sort of feel it more (Hope that does not sound stupid) I would be interested to hear some comments regarding anyone else who feels they play better with a one piece cue.

I find it easy to believe that a one piece plays better than a jointed cue but I doubt I'll try a one piece anytime soon for reasons concerning getting it around. My 3/4 case is big enough, let alone carrying a one piece case everywhere.

Comment

Maybe the 1 piece is just a better piece of wood.. or, perhaps it's lighter and this is the reason you're finding the touch better.. it's hard to quantify but it sorta makes sense that you'd get better feedback/touch from a single piece of wood, the joint must surely have an effect on the feel of it all.
      Last edited by nrage; 14 June 2012, 01:59 PM. Reason: bad grammar
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Theres always going to be a split opinion on this, some people are adamant that a 1 piece has a superior feel, while others feel theres no real difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
          Maybe the 1 piece is just a better piece of wood.. or, perhaps it's lighter and this is the reason you're finding the touch better.. it's hard to quantify but it sorta makes sense that you'd get better feedback/touch from a single piece of wood, the joint must surely have an effect on the feel of it all.
          Think you may have a point it feels more of a part of me (If you know what I mean) I may be wrong but I think the pros are pretty evenly split in their use of one piece and jointed, maybe as I said before its just a mind thing ! but for the moment I love my one piece.

Comment

Folk who have thick skin and hard hands probably don't notice the difference, but the difference is there. It's all to do with the joint, which acts as a shock absorber before feedback gets to the butt end. This is a fact. I'll repeat, it's a fact of physics and I should know! A much heavier denser material will always absorb more energy and hold that energy, than a lighter material, which tend to transfer the energy. The same is true with tennis rackets when folk add a rubber damper to the strings, but that is intentional, to remove vibration. Snooker players need to keep the vibration in the cue, it's a signal to the player about how he played the shot and what resulted.

Imagine if you will, that the whole cue was made of brass, how much feedback would you get? Almost zero. Of course, things like ferrule material are also important and we can argue the superiority of plastic ferrules compared to brass/steel ferrules for the same feedback reasons; plastic is much closer to wood w.r.t. density.

I've used two pieces a fair bit but since I bought a one piece, there's no going back. There is no good reason to make a beautiful cue and saw it in half, and if you ask their honest opinion, all cue makers will tell you the same. They'll also tell you about the effect of joints on feedback. It's why folk are experimenting with wood on wood joints, where the brass joint is inside the cue shaft, but even this isn't ideal IMO.

I don't have a wooden case for a 58" cue. Instead I went the plastic tube root. The plastic tube can be put in a car, and if it bumps here and there because it's awkward, no problem; it's made out of plastic whereas a fancy wood case would get wrecked. It's easier to transport than a fancy 3/4 wooden case because it can take some knocks. Besides, I've never seen anyone win a frame with a case.

But if folk are happy with 3/4 or 1/2 jointed cues, good on 'em.
            Last edited by Particle Physics; 14 June 2012, 07:31 PM.
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

One piece vs jointed

Anyone know any decent sites for 1 piece cues?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jake O'Sullivan View Post
                Anyone know any decent sites for 1 piece cues?
                What do you mean ?? all makers do one piece cues, pick a maker

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                  Folk who have thick skin and hard hands probably don't notice the difference, but the difference is there. It's all to do with the joint, which acts as a shock absorber before feedback gets to the butt end. This is a fact. I'll repeat, it's a fact of physics and I should know! A much heavier denser material will always absorb more energy and hold that energy, than a lighter material, which tend to transfer the energy. The same is true with tennis rackets when folk add a rubber damper to the strings, but that is intentional, to remove vibration. Snooker players need to keep the vibration in the cue, it's a signal to the player about how he played the shot and what resulted.

Imagine if you will, that the whole cue was made of brass, how much feedback would you get? Almost zero. Of course, things like ferrule material are also important and we can argue the superiority of plastic ferrules compared to brass/steel ferrules for the same feedback reasons; plastic is much closer to wood w.r.t. density.

I've used two pieces a fair bit but since I bought a one piece, there's no going back. There is no good reason to make a beautiful cue and saw it in half, and if you ask their honest opinion, all cue makers will tell you the same. They'll also tell you about the effect of joints on feedback. It's why folk are experimenting with wood on wood joints, where the brass joint is inside the cue shaft, but even this isn't ideal IMO.

I don't have a wooden case for a 58" cue. Instead I went the plastic tube root. The plastic tube can be put in a car, and if it bumps here and there because it's awkward, no problem; it's made out of plastic whereas a fancy wood case would get wrecked. It's easier to transport than a fancy 3/4 wooden case because it can take some knocks. Besides, I've never seen anyone win a frame with a case.

But if folk are happy with 3/4 or 1/2 jointed cues, good on 'em.
                  Your in depth post will without doubt open a can of worms with all the jointed cue owners but I think you have a good point ! the only thing I can equate it with is a good cricket bat with a good bat you get just the right amount of feel through the handle a bad bat is sort of dead with no life any keen cricketers will know what I mean,much of this is to do with the quality of the splicing and grain much like a snooker cue.

Comment

One piece vs jointed

I dont want one made. just a decent website with a few to chose from that aren't mega bucks.

Comment

I am a one piece convert. Started off years ago using 1/2 jointed cues, then moved on to 3/4 jointed cues until about a little over a year ago. Got a one piece Will Hunt and fell in love with it. It just feels better(hard to explain) and I don't have to worry about potential future joint problems which can mean a nightmare for me being in Canada and having to ship the cue to a good cue maker if it needed repair.

As for it being a pain to carry around, I don't mind at all.
                      The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Ok ! a one piece can be a bit of a pain to carry around however I have found one advantage when playing away matches I have a one piece case that can take two cues so I have a back up cue tipped and ready to go so I have no panic repairs or re-tips that interfere with our drinking time..

Comment

tell that to stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, Mathew Stevens and others.

Wouldn't you think if a 2 piece was bad for their feel they would know, it doesn't seem to bother them.

i think the quality of the wood used is much more important for feel

Alabbadi

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            tell that to stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, Mathew Stevens and others.

Wouldn't you think if a 2 piece was bad for their feel they would know, it doesn't seem to bother them.

i think the quality of the wood used is much more important for feel

Alabbadi
                            On the other hand there are a lot of top players who use one piece cues maybe someone could update us, ?

Comment

True that is their preference, however the thread was asking the question that is a one peice is better than a two piece, i was pointing out that if the best player ever to hold a cue in many peoples opinion uses a two peice, then the argument doesn't hold any weight to one better than the other, its all a matter of preference in the end.

i think that it is all about the quality of the wood

Alabbadi

Comment

Working...
                              X