Alternative to an SD jiont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to an SD jiont

I hate SD joint's it's not the joint it's self but the fact there is a lump of metal at the end of the cue.
    I just ordered an ultimate and would like some ideas/suggestion for other options.
    Is there any push on mini butts or is it possible to use a lighter material than brass?

Mike Wooldridge new F1 joints are the bizz!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      Mike Wooldridge new F1 joints are the bizz!!
      any details/spec's

Comment

All the details are on Mike's site.

Comment

I don't think the sd joint make a great deal of difference to the weight of the cue, i had one put in my 3/4 cue and there was little if any difference in terms of weight.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
            I don't think the sd joint make a great deal of difference to the weight of the cue, i had one put in my 3/4 cue and there was little if any difference in terms of weight.
            without going to deep into it it's not the weight it is were the weight is. if you put a weight at the extreme opposite end to the tip it is bound to alter the contact with the white. It's just a personal thing. Ideally if I could find the right woods that would give a cue good balance without adding any weight this is what I would go for. If a cue is evenly balanced throughout the entire length of the cue it is bound to play better than a cue that has a lump of lead in it that you keep shifting backwards and forwards with you waggles.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
              without going to deep into it it's not the weight it is were the weight is. if you put a weight at the extreme opposite end to the tip it is bound to alter the contact with the white. It's just a personal thing. Ideally if I could find the right woods that would give a cue good balance without adding any weight this is what I would go for. If a cue is evenly balanced throughout the entire length of the cue it is bound to play better than a cue that has a lump of lead in it that you keep shifting backwards and forwards with you waggles.
              Brass is pretty light though, if you were to take out the chunk of ebony that it replaces id not be surpsied if the ebony was of equal weight or slightly heavier. And considering the amount of players that have an sd joint or similar brass joint its clearly not causing any issues with their game.

Comment

Mike's F1 joint can be had in a super lightweight alloy as well as brass - worth checking out if you don't want a brass one.

Comment

I have used a very light weight material in cues before and it works very well just not had the time to further my idea.
                  It's basically the same as a base joint but much lighter.
                  "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                    Brass is pretty light though, if you were to take out the chunk of ebony that it replaces id not be surpsied if the ebony was of equal weight or slightly heavier. And considering the amount of players that have an sd joint or similar brass joint its clearly not causing any issues with their game.
                    Narl your reading too much in to it, each to their own. Like I said it's a personal thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                      I have used a very light weight material in cues before and it works very well just not had the time to further my idea.
                      It's basically the same as a base joint but much lighter.
                      Have you any picture or examples?
                      I'll have a look at mikes site, do you think adding a MW joint would de-value a JP ultimate?

Comment

Doubt it would devalue it as long as the extensions are flogged with it, if ever sold. Though some people are very picky about that kind of thing.

Comment

There is an alternative. Its called a rest mate!

Comment

Mike if your reading this post can you provide more details and would in be possible for you to send me a sample of course I would my for it.
                            Last edited by cazmac1; 15 June 2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

In all seriousness, there isnt any real alternative to an SD joint although Mike Wooldridge butt joins are a much nicer and more 'engineered' option.

What I was implying is that if you really dont like them that much just get better at using one of these!

ronnie-osullivan.jpg

EDIT: Lol I just thought the above post was directed at me haha! Its good to have the same name as the worlds best cuemaker

cazmac1: The F1 joins are really well designed and look far better than the usual threaded brass insert's.

See here: http://www.handmadecues.com/cues/21-f1.htm
                              Last edited by safe t boy; 15 June 2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X