What Cue did Joe Davis use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Cue did Joe Davis use?

Been looking at 2 of his books and all i can make out is its a cue with a black butt with thin veneer (possibly maple) on the chamfer side. Doesn't seem to be any kind of badge from what i can make out, bottom of the butt just seems to be black. I know theres a little marketing blurb by peradon (probably taken out of contenxt) that Joe Davis said "a Peradon cue will make you a better player", possibly a Peraodon cue of some type?

i believe it was a peradon - does roger lee not have it?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      i believe it was a peradon - does roger lee not have it?
      I rememebr seeing a case years ago with baize in it with what was meant to be Joe Davis's snooker balls (set out like a table) and his cue inside it. Not sure if it was that guy though.

Actually it was in the peradon marketing video:

109_JOEDcue.jpg

Just wondering if that is his actual cue or one he might have used for a while. Doesn't appear to have any veneer on it (hard to see anyway with the glare) though obviously it could be on the other side.
      Last edited by narl; 22 June 2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        Been looking at 2 of his books and all i can make out is its a cue with a black butt with thin veneer (possibly maple) on the chamfer side. Doesn't seem to be any kind of badge from what i can make out, bottom of the butt just seems to be black. I know theres a little marketing blurb by peradon (probably taken out of contenxt) that Joe Davis said "a Peradon cue will make you a better player", possibly a Peraodon cue of some type?
        Think old Joe would turn in his grave at some of the rubbish Peradon cues that are sold now days.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
          Think old Joe would turn in his grave at some of the rubbish Peradon cues that are sold now days.

Quantity not quality that matters these days. I find it amusing that peradon make cues bearing his name but every single one these days is machine spliced, not sure why they don't make a range duplicating the look of his cue which was obviously hand spliced.

If you take a look at that video above and watch at around the 2:30 mark theres a guy screwing a cue together, a couple of the splices appear to be mis-shapen along with being different sizes.

Has anyone got a contact method for Roger Lee? Assuming he has it I'd like to see if some hi res pics are possible.
          Last edited by narl; 23 June 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

its in the museum at thurstons/peradon in liverpool i have seen it a few times.

Comment

according to joe davis's bio he got it from a chap who he saw playing a game. joe said thats a nice cue and he said its alright but its an old one. the peradon promotion came later

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                its in the museum at thurstons/peradon in liverpool i have seen it a few times.
                I wrote to the head of the museum asking for details of the cue and they never even had the decency to respond

Comment

Gonna shoot them an email to see if I get any response.

Comment

Good luck I hope you fare better than me.

Comment

Wonder what ever became of Fred Davis playing cue, he seemed to use the same one right to the time he stopped playing, 1 piece black ebony butt, appeared to be a Burroughes & Watts of some description, or at least the badge looked the same size and shape.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                        according to joe davis's bio he got it from a chap who he saw playing a game. joe said thats a nice cue and he said its alright but its an old one. the peradon promotion came later

Wasn't till i bought those books of you that i spotted the maple veneer on it, id always thought it was just a plain black butt. In one of the pics it appears to have a face splice of some description as well, possibly rosewood.

Comment

Wonder what ever became of Fred Davis playing cue, he seemed to use the same one right to the time he stopped playing, 1 piece black ebony butt, appeared to be a Burroughes & Watts of some description, or at least the badge looked the same size and shape.
                          was a one piece maple cannon cue mate, and yes used through out his career

Comment

Nothing back from thurstons yet, time to start sending the same email to any of their other email addresses i can find.

Comment

Nothing back from thurstons yet, time to start sending the same email to any of their other email addresses i can find.
                              Same as, I think it's pretty sad that they set themselves up as some kind of snooker historical achieve then won't answer a few simple questions. If it is something that they are asked repeatedly then why don't they just display the info on there web site?
                              JOB DONE

Comment

Working...
                              X