What Cue did Joe Davis use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
    11mm tip heavy cloth, the man was a genius.
    Id love to see players of this era get put on table \ equipment conditions of say 1930 and see how well they do. Theres so many shots they wouldn't be able to play and with the pack not splitting easily at all it would be interesting to see how (or indeed if) they could adapt to it.
    Last edited by narl; 16 July 2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Oops..... I forgot to reply to this thread..... I have been to thurstons and they told me exactly the same as your earlier email. The case is screwed onto the wall 8ft up and because of the glass front the pics I got were unusable. They told me that the cue, balls etc are "glued" into the case so I was unable to have a good look at it. I can confirm that from the angle I was looking that there are no veneers, just what looks like a solid ebony butt. The tip looked around 10/11 mm but was in a sorry state. It seemed extremely short but that may be due to the height and angle that I was able to look at it.
      You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
        11mm tip heavy cloth, the man was a genius.
        sure he didnt play with an 11mm tip. as in his coaching book he advocated the best size tip for snooker was 10-11mm. and that beginners should start of with an 11mm and then go smaller

Comment

Sounds like it's not the cue joe played with then.

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
            Oops..... I forgot to reply to this thread..... I have been to thurstons and they told me exactly the same as your earlier email. The case is screwed onto the wall 8ft up and because of the glass front the pics I got were unusable. They told me that the cue, balls etc are "glued" into the case so I was unable to have a good look at it. I can confirm that from the angle I was looking that there are no veneers, just what looks like a solid ebony butt. The tip looked around 10/11 mm but was in a sorry state. It seemed extremely short but that may be due to the height and angle that I was able to look at it.

Id hope the cue isnt glued in, looks to me like its sitting on 2 metal rods more than anything.
            Last edited by narl; 17 July 2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Got another response back after querying the cue:

Joe probably had a few cues and the one he 'gave' for display wouldn't have been his favorite at the time he gave it up, but when Rex Williams visited he confirmed that he had seen Joe using the cue.
              /scratches chin. So it would seem his playing cue could possibly be out there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X