Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake cues... and errr, replicas....

Sooooooooo.....

I was Just thinking (after seeing all the fakes pop up lately)......I don't see the difference between a fake cue or a replica cue..

We see lot's of 'replica' cues being made and nobody bats an eyelid..

I just can't see the difference!!

Replica cue Makers should mark the cue so it's not to be confused surely?

In say 50 years nobody is gonna know what's real or waht's not yuh as makers are trying to make them 'identical' to originals and nobody seems bothered..

I just don't get what the difference between 'fake' and 'replica' is......

I know of a couple of cues that have been sold on as originals in the past and they have more than likely been 'replicas' and we see lots of 'old' cues on ebay that are likely reps, spesh ye olde ash etc where people are just not mentioning the fact of the cue being a replica and hoping to sell it as original, and others where 'Enthusiasts' are not sure if the cue for sale/sold is original or not has it's proven difficult to tell in some cases..

So imagine the state of things in years to come eh..

Oh dear....

So, what's the difference between a fake and a replica.... NOWT IMO..

That's all. I justed wanted to hear other people thoughts on this?

I bet your brain hurts after all that thinking Cally
    Yep in about 30 years time no one is gonna know what's a replica and what's an original for sure, & i agree the likes of Glover & Ions should put an "R" or something on the badge to help peeps out.
    A fake i suppose is similar to a replica, fake being a copy of a modern cue, replica more associated with old cues

Comment

Agree there should be some mark to distinguish it as a replica, easy way with most cues is the weight stamp i think, you see loads of replicas with a weight stamp of say 16oz but they are weighted differently for the modern game, just leave the stamp off

There is a difference as long as they are being sold as a replica and not selling as an original

Just my opinion

Comment

@ jrc... Didn't take ya long fella...

Dodgy as anyone you are with all the 'fakes' you have been selling lately eh.. lol

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
          @ jrc... Didn't take ya long fella...

Dodgy as anyone you are with all the 'fakes' you have been selling lately eh.. lol
          Ahem, all advertised as "replica's" mate

Comment

Originally Posted by farrelld91 View Post
            Agree there should be some mark to distinguish it as a replica, easy way with most cues is the weight stamp i think, you see loads of replicas with a weight stamp of say 16oz but they are weighted differently for the modern game, just leave the stamp off

There is a difference as long as they are being sold as a replica and not selling as an original

Just my opinion

Yes they are sold as replicas NOW, but i'm looking at the bigger picture here and the 'future' of said cues..

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Ahem, all advertised as "replica's" mate
              Still fakes int they, that's my point.... theres no difference.

Comment

Still fakes int they, that's my point.... theres no difference.
                Right i think ive got what you mean now bud lol, most old cues are pants to play with, too whippy and billiard taper etc, a replica looks like the same cue but "plays" like a modern cue as they are stiffer and with modern snooker taper. Happy now ???

Comment

No.... .....

Comment

Yes they are sold as replicas NOW, but i'm looking at the bigger picture here and the 'future' of said cues..
                    Yeah i get what you mean

I personally dont see the point in replicas, to copy splicing yes but putting a replica badge on to me doesnt make sense

Comment

well my opinion mate on fake cues i.e parris cues seen on ebay at the min, id say they are very well made and hard to spot. which isnt to important if the cue plays great, but if you pay money wanting a genuine parris cue, then there shouldnt be these fakes around. but ebay doesnt seem to care do they? nor john parris for that matter

on the other topic of replica cues, i think its quite easy to spot a replica cue from an original. as you all know ive had a replica ye olde ash made by tony glover, ive compared it to the 4 original burroughes and watts olde ash cues that i have and even though the replica is well made and the ash looks old. still looks too 'NEW' to be an original.

however i have heard stories of a cue maker, who also makes replica cues, used to use tabacco smoke to discolor the butt and shafts of cues to make them look old. and many of his cues have been taken to be original, until a cloer look my experts to be a replica but made some 20 years ago. which prob adds to the age the cue.

a jp mannock cue repkica its quite easy to spot, has the burroughes original machine splices are different.

people may not agree with me here but its what a genuinely think. Replica is a copy of another cue, but a fake is one being passed of as an original.

i have owned a ' fake' before, a parris traditional cue. good job got at a reasonable price, sent to coutts cues to be re furbed and he let me know. but said was the best fake hes seen and better than most parris cues heres seen. think that was the telling point! lol

was the best 'parris' cue i have owned i have to say. the cue was faultless, perfect ash and splice work.
                      wish i knew who made it, deffo order a custom cue. these guys prodcuing fakes are quite good cue makers and they dont need to pass work off as someone elses

Comment

Was a nice fake that parris was fella faiplay...

I noticed it was passed off as original tho..

And that's my point really i guess, lot's of ppl knew that parris was fake but yet nobody mentioned it and it's still doing the rounds as an original...
                        Last edited by cally; 26 June 2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah and if Matty hadn't ruined it by shortening it, i would of bought it back in an instant (by the way i didn't know it was fake lol)

Comment

A couple of pennies I'd like to add ....

1. Cue collectors invariably become collectors because they are searching for that old cue that will become their playing cue. From hundreds of old cues I've owned I have never held one and thought hmm I could get a good game out of that. So wanting the romance of an old cue but needing the stiffness and feel of a modern cue I have ordered / played with about a dozen replicas over the last 10yrs.
                            Replica cues are generally ordered and owned by people who love old cues.

2. A replica cue pretty much will sell for more than the original, with the exception of a ye old ash maybe.

3. I do agree though, that in 50yrs and these replicas have been kicked round a few owners, taken on their own history of wear and tear then the average collector wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I've shown a few of the replica cues I've had to
                            very well respected collectors and they have been amazed at the authenticity.

Any replicas I have made have been signed by me on the reverse of the badge. I know Andy Hunter will remove a badge if he is in
                            any doubt of a cues heritage. I have considered stamping the butt on the foot with my initials, Burroughes did a similar thing with bench numbers so it would be in keeping with the style but then could easily be worn off.

So...
                            Replicas - generally made and owned by people who love cues.
                            Fakes - always made to create a profit, not made well, not worth more than the original.
                            http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Have to totally agree with cally on this matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X