Clear All

What cue was it?

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
      What cue was it?
      What cue was what bud?

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
        A couple of pennies I'd like to add ....

1. Cue collectors invariably become collectors because they are searching for that old cue that will become their playing cue. From hundreds of old cues I've owned I have never held one and thought hmm I could get a good game out of that. So wanting the romance of an old cue but needing the stiffness and feel of a modern cue I have ordered / played with about a dozen replicas over the last 10yrs.
        Replica cues are generally ordered and owned by people who love old cues.

2. A replica cue pretty much will sell for more than the original, with the exception of a ye old ash maybe.

3. I do agree though, that in 50yrs and these replicas have been kicked round a few owners, taken on their own history of wear and tear then the average collector wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I've shown a few of the replica cues I've had to
        very well respected collectors and they have been amazed at the authenticity.

Any replicas I have made have been signed by me on the reverse of the badge. I know Andy Hunter will remove a badge if he is in
        any doubt of a cues heritage. I have considered stamping the butt on the foot with my initials, Burroughes did a similar thing with bench numbers so it would be in keeping with the style but then could easily be worn off.

So...
        Replicas - generally made and owned by people who love cues.
        Fakes - always made to create a profit, not made well, not worth more than the original.
        Cheers for popping in and giving your thoughts fella ...

Comment

ive got to admit i think on the same lines as jason on this

Comment

It saddens me to say I have had "leading" collectors tell me not to buy the cues they have for sale because they doubt their authenticity when I've enquied about them... not that they mentioned this in the ebay listings of course...
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i met dave smith the other wk and i have an aquaintence who knows him and andy hunter so i am hopefull all the old stuff i buy will be original

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                What cue was it?
                This one, best cue ive ever had, so if it is a fake, i wish i could find out who made it so i could buy another

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                  i met dave smith the other wk and i have an aquaintence who knows him and andy hunter so i am hopefull all the old stuff i buy will be original
                  Did you have your cues checked out Jim, Dave has offered to have a look at any im dubious about!?
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    This one, best cue ive ever had, so if it is a fake, i wish i could find out who made it so i could buy another

So is this the only dubious cue you've sold then?
                    Old cue collector --

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                      It saddens me to say I have had "leading" collectors tell me not to buy the cues they have for sale because they doubt their authenticity when I've enquied about them... not that they mentioned this in the ebay listings of course...

Proves my point exactly really mike....

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                        So is this the only dubious cue you've sold then?
                        I didn't know about it being dubious at the time lol, would of bought it back from Matty, but he had Dave Coutts shorten it and that is when Dave put doubt on it.

Comment

Funny how many cues are looking like the real thing now, even down to the badge.
                          Last edited by narl; 28 June 2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

well i emailed john parris about this cue with no reply, i personally didnt think it was but wasnt sure. as narl says the fakes are becoming very good now and even harder to spot. but are also quite good playing cues if you get the fake at a good price.

going back to the one in question, never seen tight dark ash like on that before, and many arrows down shaft.
                            only reason dave coutts spotted it was the badge wasnt quite right. but didnt take anything away from the quality of the cue. wasnt 'dead' shaft like some parris cues are

Comment

Fake cues... and errr, replicas....

That traditional I was never very sure of, soon as I picked it up it just never felt right to me. Butt seemed very chunky and the feel just wasn't right. I owned 3 parris cues at various times during the late 90,s, a traditional, an exclusive and a special, those had a very high quality feel to them, that traditional to me never felt even close to them. With the amount of posts i seen on this forum saying that the newer parris cues lack the quality of older ones (very debatable IMO) I naturally assumed that's how they feel these days.

It got sold on and I've seen it on the bay twice since then.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                                Right i think ive got what you mean now bud lol, most old cues are pants to play with, too whippy and billiard taper etc, a replica looks like the same cue but "plays" like a modern cue as they are stiffer and with modern snooker taper. Happy now ???
                                hi jrc what exactly is the definition of a billiard taper as opposed to a snooker taper, as ive always thought of buying and old cue as a player but have seen this billiard taper being mentioned often?

Comment

Working...
                                X