Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repair cracks between splice.

Hi all,

Trying to diy and repair some cracks at the butt splices between the ebony. Was wondering if it workable by using wood epoxy filler to fill up the gaps between the cracks. However as most epoxy are clear in colour, so is it possible to mix some ebony dust to give it the natural darker tone.

Most importantly, where can i buy some ebony dust? It seems like noone selling them. Please kindly advise.

Thks!

super glue in the fridge is easier.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

There are crack repair glues which are thinner than water and will get down into the crack and expand the wood very slightly. Once it's applied (they supply a syringe with different sized needles) any excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth right away and you'll never know the glue is there.

I assume this is available somewhere in Britain but here in Canada we get it from 'Lee Valley Tools' and one brand is called 'Chair Doctor' and there's another brand which is basically the same thing (it's in the same glue section of their website). Lee Valley will ship world-wide and it's not expensive and I can attest that it does a really good job. If done carefully and correctly you won't even be able to see the crack.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I always did repairs with the dust of the wood I was repairing pushed into the crack with superglue in it and then sanded when dry.I got dust from a spare bit of ebony which was rubbed on some fine sand paper or wet and dry.

Comment

Thats how I do mine.Superglue ( not gel) is thin enough to get in most cracks.Sprinkle with dust collected from the butt you are working on ( perfect colour match) et voila , instant repair.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
            super glue in the fridge is easier.

I repaired a mate's Sherwood with runny superglue and clamp. Works a treat. If you can get into the crack more, use super glue gel, it appears to have more sticking power for some reason, I guess due to it's heavier density? Epoxy will crack again down the line, it is brittle and less strong and doesn't bind to wood as well as acrylic, which is what super glue is: methylmethylacrylate.

If you haven't got wood dust for the face, cut the glue back with a scalpal (after fixing the crack) so that the glue it is just shy of the surface. Then apply a thin layer of acrylic paint (artists colour from an art shop is the best), permanent black marker pen, or other colour to match the butt wood. Don't use oil based paints or colour, as it can cause separation of the glue layers. Then apply a top-coat of superglue. Delicately sand/file/polish the superglue to remove the matt drying mark left over.
            Last edited by Particle Physics; 4 July 2012, 12:11 PM.
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              There are crack repair glues which are thinner than water and will get down into the crack and expand the wood very slightly. Once it's applied (they supply a syringe with different sized needles) any excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth right away and you'll never know the glue is there.

I assume this is available somewhere in Britain but here in Canada we get it from 'Lee Valley Tools' and one brand is called 'Chair Doctor' and there's another brand which is basically the same thing (it's in the same glue section of their website). Lee Valley will ship world-wide and it's not expensive and I can attest that it does a really good job. If done carefully and correctly you won't even be able to see the crack.

Terry
              A more expensive fix than superglue, and more faff and time waiting, but Terry is spot on, Chair Doctor is great stuff.
              Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Working...
              X