Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest cue weight possible for snooker

Hi All,

What is the lightest cue you ever used at snooker, and able to do really well at screw, tops etc spins at match table ?

i use a 16.1 as a playing cue with a 9mm tip, and i can screw from 6ft away comfortably on a medium paced table. on quick its easier.

Comment

The lightest cue I've played with for snooker was 13.3 oz lol Wasn't hard at all to get some good reaction out the cue ball but the 7.5 mil tip might have helped that, only used the cue once for a few shots for snooker though. Purely due to fear of it snapping to pieces in my hands lol :snooker:
      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Lighest used is 15oz for me but weight not really the key to spin or power, a lighter cue with quicker acceleration through the ball can mean more spin than on a heavier cue, just adjusting between letting the cue do the work the heavier a cue gets, its a personal thing though so will be different for all of us what suits.

Tables, balls, conditions change over the years but Terry Griffiths used a 14oz cue i think during his playing career.
        Last edited by CueAntW147; 3 July 2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I think the lightest cue I've used for snooker was around 14 Oz which was an old un-badged butterfly spliced cue. The lightest cue I've used in pool was my customised craftsman cue at 11 Oz but I've since had the weight increased to 12 Oz.

Comment

Thanks guys for all inputs, then i wondering why these days all pros use at least 17oz weight if even 11-15oz can do the job well?

Comment

Good Day, MCHPDD,

When I started playing snooker the most popular weight was 16 oz. I played with this for a long time, you just jogged my memory, I presently play with 17 and 18 oz. I am going to see if I can find a 16 oz just to give it a go again.!!!! might be allot to what you are saying. Cheers,
              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Chris melling used a cue which was around 15 oz when he was on main tour, he used this cue playing 9 ball too for some time

Comment

I was always curious about exact weight of my cues, so I had them weighted recently.

Trevor White snooker cue - 479 grams - about 16.9oz
                  Predator 9ball pool cue - 521 grams - about 18.4oz

I imagine a 12oz cue would only have about double the weight of the cueball or maybe slightly more, so I very much doubt that it would be of any use...

Comment

Standard snooker ball is just over 5oz , ( 142 grms + - 2grms) if I remember rightly.It is possible to play snooker with a 12oz cue , but shaft characteristics , such as the degree of whip come into play ( pardon the pun). Chris did use a lightweight cue, with a tiny tip for 8-ball, 9-ball and snooker , but he did have almost perfect timing and technique , very under rated player.

Comment

Say for instance there was a robot snooker player. like an iron byron for golf. What measurements would make for the perfect cue? If of course the robot hit the cue ball exactly in the intended spot every time.

Comment

... ... ...
                        Last edited by ace man; 14 July 2012, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by lostmycue View Post
                          Say for instance there was a robot snooker player. like an iron byron for golf. What measurements would make for the perfect cue? If of course the robot hit the cue ball exactly in the intended spot every time.
                          It would not matter. Energy = (mass * velocity * velocity) / 2. Robot would only need to achieve desired energy with the cue since it can always hit the exact spot on the cueball. However, robot would need to know exact mass of the given cue. It would be able to produce the same hit with 21oz cue as with 12oz no problem simply by varying speed of the hit.
                          Unlike human player, a robot player would never have any cue preference.

To make a really good robot snooker player would require a substantial amount of AI software and some great hardware as well. I don't think that today's technology would be enough.

Comment

Good point Ace. Thanks for answering my question.

Comment

Working...
                            X