No announcement yet.

Riley burwat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All pics in the thread are Riley Burwats from the 1980's, as has been mentioned Aeon made most the top end Riley cues back then including the Riley Burwat & Riley Professional these were the best versions in 1pc handspliced, some of the burwats were also machine spliced or centre jointed, there are also a few that were 3/4 jointed made around the same time which are quite rare but badge was a different style and done as a gold coloured imprint.

Though the 80's Burwats all had the same badge ( apart from the 3/4 jointed cue ) there were lots of different splice designs, colours used etc so you rarely see 2 the same.
    Last edited by CueAntW147; 17 July 2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
      All pics in the thread are Riley Burwats from the 1980's, as has been mentioned Aeon made most the top end Riley cues back then including the Riley Burwat & Riley Professional these were the best versions in 1pc handspliced, some of the burwats were also machine spliced or centre jointed, there are also a few that were 3/4 jointed made around the same time which are quite rare but badge was a different style and done as a gold coloured imprint.

Though the 80's Burwats all had the same badge ( apart from the 3/4 jointed cue ) there were lots of different splice designs, colours used etc so you rarely see 2 the same.
      Thanks for info was never sure of date of cue was the wood ash ?

Comment

yes its ash mate, don't think i've ever seen a maple version of these.

Comment

There is a previous thread , dated 12th Sept 2010 by " warren132 " , in which he is selling one of these cues , the j.pegs are still archived under that thread.You wil notice that the male pin on the joint is " half threaded " and your cue appears to have a " full thread " male pin. I own an Aeon Big Dave Dolman , an Aeon Elite Pro, an Aeon Supernatural, an Aeon made Riley Burwatt Dennis Taylor signature series and an Aeon made Riley Burwatt with the identical splice patterns as your cue and Warrens old cue , without exception all my cues have " half thread " male pins similar to Warrens.Your cue poses some questions a) was your cue originally an Aeon made Riley Burwatt one piece , that was later jointed with a " Parris style " full thread pin ? , b) was your Riley made before Aeon won the contract for the Burwatts & Professionals ? or , c) was your cue made after Aeon ceased trading ? Sorry to muddy the waters , but I do find this an interesting conondrum.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
            yes its ash mate, don't think i've ever seen a maple version of these.
            Thanks ! mine has gone a beautiful walnut colour with age, It has the gold badge, Wonder how much they cost in 1980 ? and what market they were aimed at low,medium,high.
            u

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
              Thanks ! mine has gone a beautiful walnut colour with age, It has the gold badge, Wonder how much they cost in 1980 ? and what market they were aimed at low,medium,high.
              u
              I'd imagine it was low-middle end for one simple reason; rubber bumper. Cues that cost a bit had leather bumpers. Things have changed a bit now with splices of all exotic natures, but back then, ebony was the top end splice and only appeared on expensive cues. Not that I'm saying your cue is not nice of course.
              Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                I'd imagine it was low-middle end for one simple reason; rubber bumper. Cues that cost a bit had leather bumpers. Things have changed a bit now with splices of all exotic natures, but back then, ebony was the top end splice and only appeared on expensive cues. Not that I'm saying your cue is not nice of course.
                Thanks for info ! I did not think it was a high range cue but its nice to have a bit of history from the hey-days of snooker,I do play with it now and again but it is very light in weight.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                  Thanks for info ! I did not think it was a high range cue but its nice to have a bit of history from the hey-days of snooker,I do play with it now and again but it is very light in weight.
                  Older cues of all types do have charisma.

If you're interested in old cues from back in the day, have a look at JRC750 page. He's got quite a collection. Some of them are 17-18oz and quite playable. I was seriously thinking about buying a lovely Powerglide Purist off him, but it is too light for me now, just 17.5oz, about 2oz light. Gorgeous cue though, amongst his many.
                  Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                    Older cues of all types do have charisma.

If you're interested in old cues from back in the day, have a look at JRC750 page. He's got quite a collection. Some of them are 17-18oz and quite playable. I was seriously thinking about buying a lovely Powerglide Purist off him, but it is too light for me now, just 17.5oz, about 2oz light. Gorgeous cue though, amongst his many.
                    Yes not getting all poetical but you cant help thinking about all the past players who have played with a cue ! from the old miners in the working mens clubs, the teddy boys,the guys in their flares and awful tight fitting flowery shirts,the spivs who turn into Ronnie when there is money on the table,and lets face it some out and out crooks who used some of the old snooker halls for their dodgy deals.

Comment

Working...
                    X