Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinions regarding custom made snooker cue - is the ebony ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
    Ebony can quite often be like that. I have seen it in many expensive cues. Andy's cues ,in my opinion, are very nice cues. My cue also had a little bit of brown in the ebony but I felt for the price I was paying it wasn't really a problem as his cues are good value for money.
    I wasnt told unfortunately. If there was just a little bit of brown it would be ok but it is all over the cue butt - and because it has the same color as the burr splice it sort of looks like it has "run out" on the rest if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      It doesn't have to be a complaint, just ask Andy the questions you are asking on here first and give him an opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have before he is subjected to Trial by Forum.

My advice is if you have concerns, contact the cuemaker. What I think of any pictures you post is not important and neither is anyone else's opinion. The only important people are you the customer and Andy the cuemaker.

You should address any questions and/or concerns directly to Andy in the first instance.
      I totally agree with Gerry on this one.

But since you already posted this thread let me tell you that the with regards to quality there is no difference between ebony that is jet black and ebony that is not, it's only optic. It is well known that not all cue makers can deliver a jet black ebony butt and to get one you'll usually have to turn to a more expensive cue maker.

From my personal experience and from what I saw Andy Travis as well as Jason Owen are making cues with ebony butt's that are not jet black but keep in mind again that this has no effect on the playability/quality of the cue. In fact from what I heard these cues are really great to play with and in my opinion these two are craftsmen of the highest levels... especially Andy Travis with his long time experience dealing with cues. Jason Owen always keeps surprising me with his original designs.

Would be nice if you could put a picture up with the cue as a whole.
      Last edited by Guy3103; 11 July 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Seems to be quite hard to get very black ebony with so many cuemakers in asia spring up all over the place. Ive seen a few parris cues with ebony that has a very noticable redness to it so its not just affecting the lesser known cuemakers.

Comment

Originally Posted by Guy3103 View Post

But since you already posted this thread let me tell you that the with regards to quality there is no difference between ebony that is jet black and ebony that is not, it's only optic. It is well known that not all cue makers can deliver a jet black ebony butt and to get one you'll usually have to turn to a more expensive cue maker.

From my personal experience and from what I saw Andy Travis as well as Jason Owen are making cues with ebony butt's that are not jet black but keep in mind again that this has no effect on the playability/quality of the cue. In fact from what I heard these cues are really great to play with and in my opinion these two or craftsmen of the highest levels... especially Andy Travis with his long time experience dealing with cues.

Depends what he ordered or thought he was getting. If he ordered or was lead to believe he was getting a jet black ebony butt, it certainly is not ok. You pay extra for better ebony, and should then receive it; it should look right. Playability is not the only factor in cue purchase, otherwise why would folk collect cues?! lol
          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
            Depends what he ordered or thought he was getting. If he ordered or was lead to believe he was getting a jet black ebony butt, it certainly is not ok. You pay extra for better ebony, and should then receive it; it should look right. Playability is not the only factor in cue purchase, otherwise why would folk collect cues?! lol
            I just ordered ebony butt - I guess this is a lesson for the future if I order another cue at some time.

Comment

Originally Posted by mibrandt View Post
              Particle Physics nailed my point. In the meantime I have asked the cuemaker if it is normal and told him that it was not quite what I expected. The reply is "Its pure ebony with the odd bit of brown"

Heres another picture:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3494e3m&s=6
              aucott makes a good point above. If you were told the ebony wasn't black of black, there isn't too much complaint I guess. But if you paid big money for an black, ebony spliced cue, you should get one. My own view is that this is low grade ebony from a low grade ebony blank. I wouldn't be happy, not at all. How much did this cue cost? I'm not being nosy, price is an important guide to quality if you understand me. If it was something like £600, then that quality is unacceptable. If it's £300, there is less argument I guess.
              Last edited by Particle Physics; 11 July 2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Guy3103 View Post

From my personal experience and from what I saw Andy Travis as well as Jason Owen are making cues with ebony butt's that are not jet black but keep in mind again that this has no effect on the playability/quality of the cue. In fact from what I heard these cues are really great to play with and in my opinion these two are craftsmen of the highest levels... especially Andy Travis with his long time experience dealing with cues. Jason Owen always keeps surprising me with his original designs.

I have no problem with the craftsmanship and the cuemaker at all - but like I said I havent got much to compare with so thats also why I made this thread.

Let me tell you what my original thought was to be honest. I thought maybe it would be ok for the cuemaker to make this cue with this wood to a danish guy who hasnt a lot of experience with cues. I thought that maybe if I was a local experienced guy or one of the collectors in here the cue would have turned out differently. I just hate that feeling so thats why I need your 5 cents regarding this.

I just think that maybe its a bit too much with all the light spots. And they are very light - as light as the splice and they are all over the butt - not just a little bit on the back, that would have been ok. Here is a bit more of the butt as a whole:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=359bcc1&s=6

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                  ..... If it was something like £600, then that quality is unacceptable. If it's £300, there is less argument I guess.
                  It would be a lot less than £300 mate, usually Andy's cues are around the £200 area, so i think you cannot demand jet black ebony at that price

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    It would be a lot less than £300 mate, usually Andy's cues are around the £200 area, so i think you cannot demand jet black ebony at that price

A custom made cue for £200 is not a lot, and JCR is right, it's not going to be A grade ebony for that money. I paid nearly that much for my Phoenix cue, which is a lovely cue, but not custom made. Peradon charge more than £200 for their top of the range cue, which won't be nearly as good to play with I imagine. TW and MW produce great looking cues, but they charge way more than £200 and there's a massive wait. But the lesson here is; you get what you pay for, there are very few true bargains. I'd be pretty happy having a custom for £200. If I was to pay £50 extra for it to look nicer, I'm guess the ebony would be top notch.

Comment

At least its real ebony and Andy doesn't try and con people by dying it or another hard wood to make it look like jet black ebony. When did you get the cue? The badge looks like Andys old badge, the New ones are black.

Comment

Just to add to my earlier post Andy did other to source jet black ebony at an extra cost.

Personally if I ordered a cue and it came stripey that wouldn't bother me Infact I think it looks quite good at times but if it arrived blotchy I would expect to be informed beforehand. That said your pics make it diff to tell

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                          Just to add to my earlier post Andy did other to source jet black ebony at an extra cost.

Personally if I ordered a cue and it came stripey that wouldn't bother me Infact I think it looks quite good at times but if it arrived blotchy I would expect to be informed beforehand. That said your pics make it diff to tell
                          Totally jet black ebony looks plastic anyway a little brown gives it more character

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post

JCR, have you owned an AT? Do they play well? He doesn't charge a lot.

Comment

Its 2-3 months old - and I could choose black or white badge.

Well based on all your inputs I guess its just a lesson for the next cue Im gonna buy. If im gonna buy one - maybe Im gonna be happy with this one eventually. It plays well and thats the most important part of course.

Thx for the replies and best regards from Denmark.
                              Michael

Comment

That's what were here for

Best of luck with it... let us know when you make that century!

Comment

Working...
                                X