Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinions regarding custom made snooker cue - is the ebony ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
    Ebony can be Black, Brown, Stripey, Macassar or Black 'n' White. Black isn't always the most expensive so it's not as simple as Black = Expensive and Not Black = Cheap.

You should so some elementary reserach before you post inaccurate information.
    Spot on! I also don't think it's used purely because it's black and because it's able to add weight to the cue isn't it? My favorite ebony is pale moon, which isn't very black at all lol :snooker:
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      Ebony can be Black, Brown, Stripey, Macassar or Black 'n' White. Black isn't always the most expensive so it's not as simple as Black = Expensive and Not Black = Cheap.

You should so some elementary reserach before you post inaccurate information.
      The context of the post is black ebony! That's why we're discussing black ebony and not any other! The poster did not order anything other than black. When one talks about ebony, unless one talks other colours, it is a fair assumption that the ebony in question is black, or should be. Hello!

Anyway, you shouldn't be commenting on a discussion you think is not fit for the board should you? Or is this a forum? I'm sure wiki have a definition of forum somewhere. ;-)
      Last edited by Particle Physics; 12 July 2012, 04:59 PM.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by gagg8ball View Post
        when you guys say blackwood, would that be the same as african blackwood?i was discussing this with a friend recently and he was sure his timber supplier said it could be the next big thing so far as cue butts go. Didn't mention it was rare,should prob get him to check. I saw a cue he was splicing with it,did look very very black.
        If your mate's supplier was saying that, it rings true. There is more Mpingo left than ebony, so it makes sense. Mpingo also matures in less time than ebony, though there isn't tonnes left. Blackwood is a generic term, and doesn't accurately describe the wood in question, hence why SOME here are somewhat confused (not yourself I might add), and think Mpingo is Ebony. Oh dear.
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

From last month i have black ebony in stock which has nearly doubled in price, these 2 cues are made from that stock

Andy Travis cues (Photobucket)
          Contact. <span style="color:#FF0000">trav2241...ail.com</span>
          https://www.facebook.com/andy.travis...photosLocation
          S36 1LB

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
            you guys better get used to it cos ebony is getting increasingly hard to find. certainly good black stuff.

in the not too distant future, black ebony will be a rarity rather than the norm (if it isn't already), even on the most expensive custom cues.

and may i just add - ebony that has some colour, or a few flecks here and there, costs us just as much as jet black, and is all lumped in together when buying in bulk. so it's really not a case of expecting blacker stuff to be on cues that are higher priced cos the build/time cost is exactly the same. we use what we have at the time...

personally speaking, i prefer to see a bit of colour. it adds character. my favourite bits of ebony are ones that have 'something going on'.

don't get me wrong, black is cool, but it's the same wood grown from the same trees. just luck of the draw if it turns out totally black or not.
            Couldn't agree with you more Mike

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
              The context of the post is black ebony! That's why we're discussing black ebony and not any other! The poster did not order anything other than black.
              No he didn't - that's the point!!

Originally Posted by mibrandt View Post
              I just ordered ebony butt - I guess this is a lesson for the future if I order another cue at some time.
              He got exactly what he ordered!!

If he expected pure Black Ebony he should have said so and would have been charged accordingly.
              Last edited by Gerry Armstrong; 12 July 2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

African blackwood (AKA Mpingo) is a rosewood, and is a very dark borwn more than being black. It often has some fine streaking to it, though once finished, is almost invisible.

The reason it is used over ebony for wind instruments is simply because it has good tone characteristics, and isn't anything to do with it being stronger, or taking a superior finish to ebony.

African blackwood = Dalbergia family (rosewoods)
                Ebony = Diospyros family (ebonies)

Comment

I personally think the onus is on the seller to insure that the purchaser is well informed on the types of ebony, types of splices, veneers etc... to ensure that the customer is informed of what is available and the delays caused by any deviation from what is on the menu.
                  Cheers,
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                    I personally think the onus is on the seller
                    ever heard of 'buyer beware'?

i think you have it the wrong way round. the onus is on the buyer to do his research and choose carefully. maybe not ideal, but that's how the world is.

if a customer specifically requests something, the seller should oblige, or offer to try and find the best they can (explaining the difficulties and providing the buyer agrees), or decline the job.

lesson to buyers - be clear up front about what exactly you want. do not 'rely' on anyone giving you what you think you should get.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                    X