No announcement yet.

Cue buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, thanks for the comments so far! There are some useful tips here - but don't feel afraid to add more.

May I take it that if one chooses a cue from a proper cue maker, the only difference between the £200 cues and the £500 cues is aesthetic, i.e. that they play as well, but the expensive one will be more beautiful to look at?
    Is there any advantage in hand spliced versus machine spliced - or is that also just a purely aesthetic thing?

What I am trying to say is that in car terms I am looking for a Porsche - or something that handles as well - but without the added cost of metallic paint and leather seats ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Caspar View Post
      OK, thanks for the comments so far! There are some useful tips here - but don't feel afraid to add more.

May I take it that if one chooses a cue from a proper cue maker, the only difference between the £200 cues and the £500 cues is aesthetic, i.e. that they play as well, but the expensive one will be more beautiful to look at?
      Is there any advantage in hand spliced versus machine spliced - or is that also just a purely aesthetic thing?

What I am trying to say is that in car terms I am looking for a Porsche - or something that handles as well - but without the added cost of metallic paint and leather seats ...
      Yes and No. Trevor White will finish your cue (and MW for that matter) to a standard that cannot be surpassed. Raymo will make a cue for a fraction of the price of TW and it will be good, but the ash might not be what you hoped for, and perhaps the finish will be very good but not excellent. If Raymo knocks out a custom cue for £250, you're gonna get a £250 cue. If TW makes you a £400 cue, you will get £400 worth of work and materials. However, you will also have to wait over a year (someone on here said) because he's very popular.

There is another option, and that is something like Mastercraft or Phoenix, etc ready made. They finish the cue to TW standards and a softer more silky cue you will not find anywhere. I know this to be true because there are folk on here who own LP, MW and the odd Phoenix/Mastercraft and they've said there's no difference in the finish. So for say £160, you could own an ebony butted ash cue that plays every bit as another cue costing 3-6 times as much, as silky as a Parris Ultimate with the best ash shaft that can be found anywhere, and there is no wait. If you can't wait and you have a limit of £200, this is the route I would go. If you can wait a wee bit, Raymo and others on here could sort you out quite quickly. Raymo and other cue makers on here at your price level have finished cues ready for sale, so you could browse these cues too. The other advantage of buying from a retailer rather than a self-employed cue maker on here is that you will be protected by VISA/MC. If something goes wrong with the cue, delivery or the cue is wrong for any reason, you get a full refund via complaint to VISA/MC. Not that the retailer wouldn't help you out with a problem cue replacement, just in case I mean.

There is no difference between hand and machine spliced if both are done properly; it's just the look. My next cue is going to be custom made to my specs, and I'd go this route if I was you, but it's all personal preference. Whichever route you choose, you should get a cue that plays well for £200.
      Last edited by Particle Physics; 17 July 2012, 04:16 PM.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Hi mate no difference with one piece or 3/4 cue I been playing since 9 and first century break at 16 anyway about mike Woodbridge I ve got a plain black butt ash shaft 2007 plate 18oz 57.5 about 9.5 if interested give me a bell on 07900957265 geff with no waiting time and to get one you would need to pay 650 and 1 year waiting if lucky but looking for quick salle due to having too many at 380 buy it now

Comment

Working...
        X