No announcement yet.

Cue Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mrs is not happy with me buying 2 cues let alone 50 !

But you are right i've had a few cues from the same makers to roughly the same specs and they all play differently .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I have bought various cues and no two from the same maker in the same design and same spec even have ever played alike and mistakes do happen on occasion as highlighted in your review of the Tony Glover cue so a little unfair to judge people on the result of just one cue.
      No two cues will play the same. I will never say anything to the contrary. I haven't got a bad word to say about Tony Glover. He does all my remedial work on any cue I have and I recommend him to anyone local.
      However, the cue he made for me was damaged. He should have checked and it cost him that sale. I doubt he'll have lost sleep over it as he would have repaired and sold the cue with no trouble. But for me, the cue was always going to feel tainted.

If you ordered ten cues from each of them and then compared them in terms of playability cost and quality of service that would be more like it but by letting them all know you are doing it first also makes it pointless - like walking into a restaurant and telling them you are doing a review of their food for the paper - they are bound to try their best for you.
      Err... Yeah. I want their best efforts... I'm not a journalist, I'm a fan of snooker.

Also a review would be better taking into account more than one opinion to remain objective.
      But again, these cues have been built to my specs. Everyone will have their own preference and is free to put their money up for a similar experiment.

I doubt that your wife would be happy with you buying 50 or 60 odd cues though.
      If she needs a hand packing, I'll be more than happy to help

Comment

Lol ! love the last line

Comment

If we were married, I wouldn't have dared type that

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            My Mrs is not happy with me buying 2 cues let alone 50 !
            I used to tell my wife :" Nah...My friend gave me that. And it's totally FREE! "....

So I've about 4-5 cues that I got from "my friends" for "Free".

Comment

The difference is though......that my Mrs can tell when i lie..........every time i open my mouth !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                The difference is though......that my Mrs can tell when i lie..........every time i open my mouth !!!!
                Your Mrs is very potential to be a detective, huh

Comment

The way I've worked it by here is... I can't really lose money.

When I have all the cues, I'll pick a winner and that's what I'll play with. I could then sell the others if I choose to... I've had good offers for all of them.

I do like the idea of have a smart cabinet made and displaying all of the cues... I wish I'd kept my cue which I snapped so I could have knocked up a little plaque explaining why I did it... Turn back time eh?

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom
                    I am actually going to try this advice, most women would probably think a John Parris Ultimate costs about a tenner lol
                    Last edited by involver; 4 September 2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Just edited my post with the pics... I read it back and it looked like I actually had some negative concerns with my new TW cue.

This is not the case! My mastery of English clearly led to being something translation in lost .

Bottom line, My new cue is immense... more immense than yours... and faster... and it's dad could beat up your dad... and it once caught a bullet with it's bare hands... etc etc etc
                      Last edited by pottr; 4 September 2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• pottr:

If you should find any of the cues you've ordered are too 'whippy' for you AND you decide not to go the cabinet route then keep me in mind if you decide to sell any of them.

Right now I have one TW coming and possibly another rejected cue if he'll sell it to me at a good price. I also have a dynamite GBL cue with maple shaft and a joint installed by MW and also refinished by MW (cue was made for Mike Dunn) and even though I haven't used maple in years this one seems to hit really well. Also have a MAC Black Plate here that I just received but haven't had a chance to really try it out, although initially is seems to hit really well also.

Terry
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Thanks Terry, I will keep you in mind.

Comment

• Tel, "I got an grade A maple Ontario one piece pool cue that iv converted it into a snooker cue", not easy to say in one breath
                            Its got your name on it.. You interested?

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            pottr:

If you should find any of the cues you've ordered are too 'whippy' for you AND you decide not to go the cabinet route then keep me in mind if you decide to sell any of them.

Right now I have one TW coming and possibly another rejected cue if he'll sell it to me at a good price. I also have a dynamite GBL cue with maple shaft and a joint installed by MW and also refinished by MW (cue was made for Mike Dunn) and even though I haven't used maple in years this one seems to hit really well. Also have a MAC Black Plate here that I just received but haven't had a chance to really try it out, although initially is seems to hit really well also.

Terry
                            Last edited by j6uk; 4 September 2013, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• j6uk:

What are the exact specs and what is the shaft flex? Does it have a butt socket and extensions (probably not but have to check). Also the price for the cue without shipping added.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                                After fifteen years of knocking in balls with the same bat I am facing upto the fact that I need a new cue. The joint is shagged and is being repaired as we speak.

I was thinking that this would be the chance for me to add some weight to the cuemaker debate.

I intend on placing identical spec orders through some top cue makers... I'm thinking 5 or 6 tops and cataloguing my experiences of dealing with them, ordering through them and of course the product itself.

As he is local to me, I have already placed an order for the following with Tony Glover:

One piece
                                Maple shaft
                                9 millimeter ferrule
                                58 inches length
                                19 ounce weight
                                Balanced as close to 18" as possible
                                29mm butt diameter
                                Ebony butt with a front facing Thuya Burr splice over a thick Birdseye maple veneer.
                                Drilled to accept mini-butt and a telescopic extension (also to be made by the cuemaker).

I intend to forward the same request with Mike Wooldridge, Trevor White, John Parris and Dave Coutts.

Is there anyone else I should contact?
                                I would skip Mike Wooldridge if I were you. He is a great marketing guy but a far less cuemaker. In case you will insist then don't go for the "legend" as it is far from it... order a custom cue for a ridiculous amount of money and you might get some kind of quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X