Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Us Yer Mushrooms(Tip)!

Hi there,

Looking to maybe putting a new tip on a cue thats ferrule is 9mm in size but too small for me at the moment but to counter act this I'm looking to do a "mushroom" job on it.

Any advice on what size tip to use and how to shape etc?....please

Also let's get some members who play with mushroom tips to add photos of their creation and any photos or videos of players using them.

Let's have a butcher's at what yer got:biggrin:
    VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
    Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
    Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
    Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

A 10 mm tip should be ideal for a mushroom on a 9 mm ferrule . I cant take pics at the mo but i use a tip trimmer and it does the job perfect .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      A 10 mm tip should be ideal for a mushroom on a 9 mm ferrule . I cant take pics at the mo but i use a tip trimmer and it does the job perfect .
      No photo:frown:
      Tip trimmer....got a link to product?
      Cheer for the advice fella!
      Last edited by TooDark; 17 August 2012, 08:34 PM.
      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360148960602...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
          Hi there,

Looking to maybe putting a new tip on a cue thats ferrule is 9mm in size but too small for me at the moment but to counter act this I'm looking to do a "mushroom" job on it.

Any advice on what size tip to use and how to shape etc?....please

Also let's get some members who play with mushroom tips to add photos of their creation and any photos or videos of players using them.

Let's have a butcher's at what yer got:biggrin:
          Some people just whack on a bigger tip, and sand it to the right shape without any trimming needed. It doesn't look pretty but plays very well in my experience. I think Peter Ebdon's tip looked like this when he played at goldfield's.
          Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
            Some people just whack on a bigger tip, and sand it to the right shape without any trimming needed. It doesn't look pretty but plays very well in my experience. I think Peter Ebdon's tip looked like this when he played at goldfield's.
            Yes i,ve seen a few like this muck and have done a few like that myself . Only problem i find if you dont trim the tip by the ferrule then it gets caught on the cush when youre cueing under it .

Comment

Cheers hotspot

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                That's what I was thinking to doing but weren't sure what size tip to use and wanting to see photos of how people have theirs done:wink:
                Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                Yes i,ve seen a few like this muck and have done a few like that myself . Only problem i find if you dont trim the tip by the ferrule then it gets caught on the cush when youre cueing under it .
                Makes sense as wouldn't want to rip off mid frame or more importantly affect cueing but maybe that's to do with using too bigger tip to ferrule ratio:biggrin:

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
                  That's what I was thinking to doing but weren't sure what size tip to use and wanting to see photos of how people have theirs done:wink:

Makes sense as wouldn't want to rip off mid frame or more importantly affect cueing but maybe that's to do with using too bigger tip to ferrule ratio:biggrin:
                  I dont think too big a tip to ferrule ratio will effect your cueing as long as the tip is trimmed or sanded by the ferrule to round it so the tip slides on the cush instead of catching which it would do if it were left untouched .

Comment

I put a GBL Pro Granite on last night to compare it against Flame's O'min Red, and after one session it has shroomed. I'm not impressed. So there's your answer; fit a GBL PG flush to the ferrule and watch it shroom at least a mm. Now I remember why I like laminates. Note to self; remember the bad tips PP.......
                    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

This is a pic i first put on here some time ago, 10mm Talisman soft on a 9.3 mm ferrule on an old John Parris classic cue

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        This is a pic i first put on here some time ago, 10mm Talisman soft on a 9.3 mm ferrule on an old John Parris classic cue
                        That still looks the business.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_UwJYYUHI if you've got the patience to watch until 2:40 you'll see Ebdon's mushroom in action! :snooker:
                          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                            I put a GBL Pro Granite on last night to compare it against Flame's O'min Red, and after one session it has shroomed. I'm not impressed. So there's your answer; fit a GBL PG flush to the ferrule and watch it shroom at least a mm. Now I remember why I like laminates. Note to self; remember the bad tips PP.......
                            PG's are sweet. Although, from your movie ( showing your playing style ), maybe a kamui H and upwards are the w2g. I've never shroomed a PG in one sitting.. get Mike ( coach ) to sort out your timing and sheer ferociousness when you strike the cueball. Just way too hard m8.

Next time you practice, try and see how soft you can play shots and see what happens. You hit the ball well and have to be accurate to hit with such pace, but have you ever seen anyone else play the same way? I haven't. Those PG's arent bad tips ( again, subjective ), good luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_UwJYYUHI if you've got the patience to watch until 2:40 you'll see Ebdon's mushroom in action! :snooker:
                              You need a lot of patience when playing Ebdon, full stop!

Comment

Working...
                              X