Splicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing

I recieved a new cue this morning, overall the cue is excellent, although the only thing I have noticed with the cue is that some of the splicing has white coming through it, does anyone know if this can be corrected at all?

splice.jpg

only by refinishing it.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Oh, wow thats mad, its only a brand new cue, finished on Wedesday

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        Oh, wow thats mad, its only a brand new cue, finished on Wedesday
        Who made it, or can you not say or don't want to say? Please don't say Peradon. lol
        Last edited by Particle Physics; 17 August 2012, 09:29 PM.
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Id rather not say but he is one of the main stream cue makers, its not John Parris, I got an email from the maker of the cue, he advised just to apply a touch of linseed oil to the splicing and it will be fine.
          Last edited by narl; 18 August 2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Splicing

If its bothering you then id say send it back for a refinish. It just needs a sanding then blasted with an air line to clean the dust out of the grain. It's a simple job

Comment

From a quick look at that, it appears the person who has finished it has used some sort of burnishing cream on it, which has left a pale dusty residue in the pores of the grain. Some of these products can leave a powdery deposit which shows up badly on dark timbers.

As you have been advised, a bit of oil will more than likely get rid of that. (It doesn't have to be linseed oil by the way, any vegetable oil will remove it)

The fact still remains the it shouldn't have come to you like that though.

Comment

Well I tried the linseed oil last night, left it all night, buffed it off this morning and it is still very visable. Going to try dabbing some on again tonight and see if it makes any difference, though im doubting it.

Ill get in contact with the guy and see what other alternatives there is, it is affecting all the ebony not just small sections.

Here is a picture taken a few moments ago, lindseed oil etc has been applied but doesnt seem to be doing anything.

splice2.jpg
                Last edited by narl; 18 August 2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Id say the cue needs resanding/finishing.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                    Id say the cue needs resanding/finishing.

And the problem with doing that is theres a possibility the ebony will start to show some brown spots if it gets sanded back further

Comment

If the ebony appears black now, it will be black once it's refinished too.

Ebony is not the easiest timber to colour at all, and generally won't take stains or dye readily. So, if there is no sign of brownish colour to it as it is, it isn't likely to show that once it is cut back at all.

The flecks in this timber could be due to what I mentioned previously, but could also be paler dust caught in the pores of the timber and then sealed over, which kind of stops you getting at it properly. The only other thing it could be is silica deposits, which does occur naturally in ebony sometimes (though more in Indian ebony than African) If it's that, then it's a nightmare to get rid of, and not easy at all.

The fact remains that a new, recently finished cue should not look like that, no matter what the cause.

Comment

Yeah well ive sent a few pics via email hopefully it will be fixed soon, I wouldnt be surprised if it needs re-spliced if sanding it down etc doesnt work.

Comment

Is it really that bad? Woods come in all sorts of colors and shades, I would be surprised if the cue maker is willing to do more than just give advice on the cue perhaps offer to re-paint/finish the Ebony.

Comment

Ive seen something similar when using a neutral grain filler. The Rustins one dries to a white ish colour and can be a sod to get off ebony.
                            I would think that yes an oil should restore it to black but then it would need a black grain filler going over to give a decent 'hole-less' finish.
                            http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
                              Is it really that bad? Woods come in all sorts of colors and shades, I would be surprised if the cue maker is willing to do more than just give advice on the cue perhaps offer to re-paint/finish the Ebony.

Yes it is really that bad, as already discussed in the thread it has nothing to do with this being a natural feature of the ebony, its something thats got into the grain of the wood making it show up like this, take a look at the pictures and see for yourself, its probably worse in person, when you're playing a shot with the rest the streaks really catch your eye. Its already been mentioned that ebony is hard to dye, if it doesnt come out via a refinish the only option left is to resplice it from what i can see.

Comment

Working...
                              X