Cue construction and screw back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue construction and screw back

I wondered how much influence the construction of a cue has on the amount of screw back one is able to give the cue ball,I have two cues one a Craftsman piece 18 oz the other a Mark Williams Phoenix 3/4 18.5 oz. both have identical tips, Mike Wooldridge super tips at 9.5 m/m I can screw back with both cues but the Mark Williams always feels more positive and the cue ball leaps back a fair distance is it just some quirk in my mind or does cue construction influence screw back.

Cue construction and screw back

I've heard people say that some cue shafts that have a bit of flex to them can help produce more spin. Not sure if its proven either way.

Comment

So many variables make cues play differently to each other. Even two cues made to identical spec and even with similar flex in the shaft will probably play different to each other. I think its hard to say why some cues seem to play better than others, I guess if a cue maker could guarantee that he/she could make a cue that plays really well then they would patent their cue style but that will never happen as its impossible to know.

Really what it boils down to is that wood is a natural material and you will get some shafts that are just great and others not so good. Its really down to luck that you find the right shaft and spec that suits you, even the top players like Maguire have tried and used lots of cues over the past 18 months from many of the top cue makers and even he has struggled to find the right one.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
        I wondered how much influence the construction of a cue has on the amount of screw back one is able to give the cue ball,I have two cues one a Craftsman piece 18 oz the other a Mark Williams Phoenix 3/4 18.5 oz. both have identical tips, Mike Wooldridge super tips at 9.5 m/m I can screw back with both cues but the Mark Williams always feels more positive and the cue ball leaps back a fair distance is it just some quirk in my mind or does cue construction influence screw back.
        Phoenix do quite a narrow taper, and the wood is whippy IME. This definitely improves screw. Judd Trump's whippy Parris is the proof of the pudding. Stiff cues are very popular, but whippy cues do the biz when it comes to spin.
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
          Phoenix do quite a narrow taper, and the wood is whippy IME. This definitely improves screw. Judd Trump's whippy Parris is the proof of the pudding. Stiff cues are very popular, but whippy cues do the biz when it comes to spin.
          Yes my Mark Williams Phoenix has a quite a narrow taper compared to my Craftsman, whats the physics behind a narrow whippy cue giving more spin ???

Comment

Working...
          X