pro taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro taper

Hi all, I tried doing a search on this subject as I know it been discussed a lot but couldn't find anything hence the new thread.

I'll start by saying that I have decided to change the taper of my cue to a pro taper. The effect on how the ball reacts with of centre striking has been well documented. So I have a question to ask for some of the more experiences
    players.
    Q: If I'm playing a shot with the nap with a low deflection cue if the white does not deviate of the line of aim (or very little) when playing with side, does this then mean as the white is spinning with side will the white if anything deviate to the side you struck the ball on.
    IE: Play with left hand side the with will move the the left and when playing with right hand side the white will move to the right.
    Of course there are other factors to take into account such as how hard you hit the ball and the distance between the balls.

Off topic, found this for you to look at. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/jo...es-and-costers
    Last edited by cazmac1; 8 September 2012, 07:46 AM.

Here is a picture from the Joe Davis book and his explanation.
    IMG00156-20120908-0811 (2).jpg
    A slightly exaggerated drawing of the path of the ball when right-hand side is applied, the aim being over the spots.The ball is pushed out to the left, and the side spin then pulls it across.

My words below
    Now if you played the same shot with a low deflection shaft by the time the ball reached the black spot you would be a few inch's to the right of the black????
    Last edited by cazmac1; 8 September 2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

That is correct yes.
      The only thing to realize is, there is normally a lot leas distance between cue ball and object ball when playing an actual shot, rather than just cue ball up the length of the table.
      Therefor, the aim of a shot with side is less likely to deviate of line and the aim will be nearer to that when striking centre ball.
      "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
        That is correct yes.
        The only thing to realize is, there is normally a lot leas distance between cue ball and object ball when playing an actual shot, rather than just cue ball up the length of the table.
        Therefor, the aim of a shot with side is less likely to deviate of line and the aim will be nearer to that when striking centre ball.
        Thanks doctor, I thought as much I've been thinking back to the best cue I had when I used to play some really good snooker and this cue had a pro taper and I used to be able to play some amazing shots using side. I really like my current playing cue but I made up my mind a few months ago to follow my gut and alter my cue based on the feed back it gave me instead of ignoring it.
        I play with a lot of side and get lazy on a lot of shots I don't line up correctly and often use side to compensate, a low deflection cue will help me with this. I never really been a centre ball striker, I know it's wrong but that's my game and that's the way like it.
        Last edited by cazmac1; 8 September 2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
          I play with a lot of side and get lazy on a lot of shots I don't line up correctly and often use side to compensate, a low deflection cue will help me with this. I never really been a centre ball striker, I know it's wrong but that's my game and that's the way like it.
          What would Del say.. :O

Comment

Thanks doctor, I thought as much I've been thinking back to the best cue I had when I used to play some really good snooker and this cue had a pro taper and I used to be able to play some amazing shots using side. I really like my current playing cue but I made up my mind a few months ago to follow my gut and alter my cue based on the feed back it gave me instead of ignoring it.
            For those of us who are ignorant, could you please tell us what a pro taper shaft is, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              For those of us who are ignorant, could you please tell us what a pro taper shaft is, I have no idea.
              Marketing blurb.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Old cue collector --
              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Sorry I thought this was generally understood.
                Simple really it's where the last 12 to 15 inch's of the shaft (could be more or less) is fairy straight/ uniform IE: not taper, This is proven to reduce deflection. There are plenty of Videos to back this up on Youtube.
                Last edited by cazmac1; 8 September 2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                  Marketing blurb.
                  Really surprised at this comment.

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                    What would Del say.. :O
                    I've taken things form Dell but have incorporated them into my own game, mainly the grip and drive.

Comment

...the last 12 to 15 (could be more or less) is fairy straight/ uniform IE: no taper,
                      I am sure you meant to say the last 12-15 inches, has no taper
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        I am sure you meant to say the last 12-15 inches, has no taper
                        Correct. I is just a way of describing and certain type of taper, some my use it when marketing their cue's but never the less it is very real.
                        Last edited by cazmac1; 8 September 2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Terry in canada as a idea that the taper should drop 1 mm every 3 in ie tip 9.4 then 10.4 ,11.4 and so on down the shaft to more or less where the splices are should be about 25mm

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                            Terry in canada as a idea that the taper should drop 1 mm every 3 in ie tip 9.4 then 10.4 ,11.4 and so on down the shaft to more or less where the splices are should be about 25mm
                            I don't think I'll go that far down, nice to know tho.

Comment

cazmacL

I believe the term 'pro taper' was developed in the States for pool cues. What you are saying regarding the last 15" of so of the shaft is correct and does refer to the pro taper. It is not however generally used in snooker to taper shafts.

Judging by the different cues I've had here and now my lastest MW (all the cues where I believe the shaft flex is right around 'medium' I've found to have almost a pure conical taper as described by Jim above. I believe the flex of the shaft is more determined by the middle portion rather than the end of it.

However, it will be interesting to see what you get. I asked Aurora to do a cue with a little more flex and they did this 'pro taper' and I found the cue was still stiff since the middle section of the cue was still quite thick. I ordered the next Aurora based on the taper I found in an older Will Hunt cue I had where I really liked the flex and that was more conical. The cue came from Aurora with that conical taper and it was great.

Of course, every piece of ash will have a slightly different density and you have to rely on the experiece of that cuemaker to get the flex you want. Also, remember the term 'pro taper' does refer to primarily maple shafted centre-joined cues.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X