No announcement yet.

pro taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So its essentially a mannock setup you're going to which came long before the "pro taper" in pool (12-15 or so inches parallel at the top of the shaft from the tip end). Makes playing shots with the loop bridge more doable as well as you can cue easier at the ball without having to adjust your fingers because of the taper.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
      Sorry I thought this was generally understood.
      Simple really it's where the last 12 to 15 inch's of the shaft (could be more or less) is fairy straight/ uniform IE: not taper, This is proven to reduce deflection. There are plenty of Videos to back this up on Youtube.
      I used to play 8ball with an old cue like that, lovely cue it was but too short for me for snooker so I sold it. You live and learn, thanks.

Comment

pro taper

You won't need a pro taper to be anything like 12 - 18 inches. A taper like that is designed for US style pool, where the shafts are thicker and a closed loop bridge is common.

For reducing effective end mass, and hence cb deflection, my understanding is that only the last 6 inches or so have any impact.

Comment

the shaft on my cue is stiff so it can handle being thinned with out becoming whippy. I'm going to video the whole process for those of you who like a laugh. I will update when it's completed wish me luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by Siz View Post
            You won't need a pro taper to be anything like 12 - 18 inches. A taper like that is designed for US style pool, where the shafts are thicker and a closed loop bridge is common.

For reducing effective end mass, and hence cb deflection, my understanding is that only the last 6 inches or so have any impact.
            Yes I think your right I'm going to use my judgement and see where it takes me.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
              the shaft on my cue is stiff so it can handle being thinned with out becoming whippy. I'm going to video the whole process for those of you who like a laugh. I will update when it's completed wish me luck.
              What cue do you play with now Cazmac ?
              " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
                What cue do you play with now Cazmac ?
                I'm playing with a master craft, It is an excellent cue and I've made some improvements since receiving the cue. But when I purchased the cue I asked for a stiff shaft and to be fair to Dave supplied exactly what I asked for. Snooker is a strange game and a lot of us keep going round in circles trying to find things that will improve are game. We thing we know what were talking about and half the time were wrong. This is OK and we take something from every experience which makes us stronger. I'm now am of the opinion I was wrong to insist on a very stiff shaft. I think the way I use side in my game I would be much better suited to a medium flex on my cue shaft. This is the reason I am going to alter the cue, I'm pretty good with my hands so should be able to get a fairly decent result. Ideally we would all be like to be like Ronnie and know exactly what we want in a cue, I don't think there is a player apart from RO who has this ability.

Comment

OK, I sanded the shaft down today and made a video, to be honest you can't really see that much and it's pretty boring, I will put it on line maybe on photo bucket or something. Well I didn't want to take too much off but even the little I done is massive and it's like a new cue. I have to say it diffidently throws less but I will need more time to adjust. My feelings at this stage is to leave it as it is but I might take it down some more in around 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                  X