Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linseed oil... Which type to use?

Posted by Watford nov96:
    I linseed oiled and bees waxed my cue last week fantastic finish!
    Got the beeswax from ebay simply Bee Company I think good stuff!
    Just read that and as it happens I too bought some off the same guy last week, (should arrive tomorrow he's been poorly) My question though is not to do with the waxing but the type of liniseed oil to use. On ebay i've noticed 3 different kinds.. Refined, purified, and another i forget what it was called now though. Anyone know what the difference mean and which is best for a cue?

We had a discussion about this recently. Have a look here:

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/showthread-t_3131.html

Comment

Ah, Raw it is then cheers.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity
        Ah, Raw it is then cheers.

Hi,

Yes, raw oil has no driers in it and will not be as 'tacky' as boiled oil.
        The driers in some oils are to aid its drying time, but with a cue, as it's something that gets handled, this leads to the driers being softened by the heat from your hands, making the shaft sticky.

Raw oil has no driers, and, although it'll take longer to 'dry' properly, will only leave the cue feeling slightly greasy. This can be minimised by constant polishing with a dry cloth.

The best thing is to oil the cue at night and leave till the following day, then polish off any excess with a dry cloth. Four to six coats over about a fortnight will help lots.

Good luck with it.

Comment

i use mike woodridge liquid gold and that does the trick for me

Comment

Do most people linseed oil their cues on here then? I've never done it and wonder if I'm missing a trick. If I start to do it is once a year ok? I know a couple of pro's and don't think they even linseed oil their cues. Sorry if this has been covered before but the above link doesn't work on my computer.

Comment

normally we does it every few months .. some once a month .. some once every 3months ..
              pro usually don't need to do that by them self .. when they sent the cue for service or back to the cuemaker.. the cuemaker will do this for them .. oiling your cue is not a must .. but is a step to care for your cue. Even top notch cue makers like John Parris and MW also encourage this steps .. MW and Aurora even got their own cue oil .. ^^

Comment

Is there any real difference using Raw Linseed oil compared to the ones that some reputable cue makers are selling (at a higher cost)?

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                  Is there any real difference using Raw Linseed oil compared to the ones that some reputable cue makers are selling (at a higher cost)?
                  yes is the simple answer its thinned down to a tried and tested level and also may contain other things.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                    Hi,

Yes, raw oil has no driers in it and will not be as 'tacky' as boiled oil.
                    The driers in some oils are to aid its drying time, but with a cue, as it's something that gets handled, this leads to the driers being softened by the heat from your hands, making the shaft sticky.

Raw oil has no driers, and, although it'll take longer to 'dry' properly, will only leave the cue feeling slightly greasy. This can be minimised by constant polishing with a dry cloth.

The best thing is to oil the cue at night and leave till the following day, then polish off any excess with a dry cloth. Four to six coats over about a fortnight will help lots.

Good luck with it.
                    Trevor,
                    I'm confused. First, I don't know what a fortnight is. Do you mean to oil and polish the cue four to six consecutive days. In the past you have told me that oiling is required maybe once a year and I take that as oiling one night and polishing the next day and being done with it. Please clarify for your friend across the pond.
                    The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

A fortnight is 2 weeks, so oil every 3 days or so for 4 to 5 times. Do this procedure about once a year

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                        First, I don't know what a fortnight is.
                        Fortnight is 2 weeks

Comment

Working...
                        X