Wanted -- hardwood for making mini butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted -- hardwood for making mini butts

New member here, looking to make couple of mini butts, one 4" and one 2 1/2" long to enable me to shorten cue when playing in pubs where space is tight. Anyone got any offcuts surplus to requirements that would do the job? If poss would prefer something fairly dense to give a bit of weight to bottom of cue.

what about the joints ?

Comment

going to hack the female half out of normal extension that came with cue, it's a cue i use for playing pool one of the old cannon made in england with white disc badge has cannon made in england round outside and image of cannon in the middle. Think they are from the 80's? if playing snooker i have a nice glover cue with extensions etc
      if i can't find another joint i'll either settle for 1 mini butt or see if a mate will be able to turn one
      could obviously just cut down existing extension but the wood is pretty basic and would like butt in ebony or similar or as adr147 suggested cut existing butt in 2 and stick in new joint but i'm not keen on altering cue and turning it into firewood

Comment

have just made a test 4" mini butt out of scrap timber and seems right size and planing the flat came out ok so going to use the joint out of the original long extension and forget making 2 1/2" butt which was a stupid idea in the first place.

Can anyone recommend a timber merchant for buying a piece of ebony and is there a particular type of ebony i should be asking for?

Comment

we sell direct ebony wood and other exotic hardwoods, if you are interested send your requirements to timberboyz@gmail.com

Comment

Originally Posted by TIMBERBOYZ View Post
            we sell direct ebony wood and other exotic hardwoods, if you are interested send your requirements to timberboyz@gmail.com
            website?......
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by diy_al View Post
              New member here, looking to make couple of mini butts, one 4" and one 2 1/2" long to enable me to shorten cue when playing in pubs where space is tight. Anyone got any offcuts surplus to requirements that would do the job? If poss would prefer something fairly dense to give a bit of weight to bottom of cue.
              firstly, 4" is very small.

but, seriously? you also need one 1.5" smaller?

i am asking myself when you could possibly need a 4" mini butt, and then find it's too long by 1.5" so you bring the other one out.

i do not think you have thought this through properly.
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

have made the butt out of walnut and happy with results for a first attempt, it measures just shy of 5 1/2" inc leather pad which seems about right.
                Mike, you're right 4" is a bit small, but with all due repect i have thought it through properly which is why it is now 5 1/2" long and i have previously mentioned on this thread that a second smaller butt was a stupid idea.

This is not a device i expect to use a lot but i like working with wood, have a lot of woodworking tools and enjoyed the process of making it.

timberboyz, thanks for the shout, if i decide to remake the butt (always possible) or need ebony for any other project i will give you a shout

Comment

Originally Posted by diy_al View Post
                  Mike, you're right 4" is a bit small, but with all due repect i have thought it through properly which is why it is now 5 1/2" long and i have previously mentioned on this thread that a second smaller butt was a stupid idea.
                  lol. i see that now. glad you found a workable solution to your problem.
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

yep, just when you think everything is going great made a total arse of the badge recess - now doing a bit of creative floodfilling with super glue. If i'd just tried not to be smart and left it without a badge it would have been fine - learning curve!

Comment

Originally Posted by TIMBERBOYZ View Post
                      As mike asked do you have a website or is email only way to get in touch

Comment

Working...
                      X