cue making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue making

just been straightening some shafts before cleaning them up and thought ile weigh these they seemed to differ a bit out off 7 shafts the lightest was 11 1/2 oz and the heaviest was 15 1/2 oz so according to my understanding the heaviest is the more dense so should make the better cue is this correct or can somebody put me right

Suppose it depends if you want a very rigid cue or one witha bit of give in it, i used to prefer very rigid shafts, then a while ago i bought a first edition burwat champion. Not a whippy cue but it has a bit of give in it and i seem to be able to generate more spin on shots with it.

Comment

interesting weight difference there Jim. Obviously density is important and I know that JP swears that getting the right density shaft is vital when it comes to making a cue. The heavier the shaft the better the balance it should offer IMO. So if you finished up these shafts to cues and then weighted them all at say 18oz, the 15 1/2 oz would probably be the best for a forward balanced cue and the lightest would probably be very butt heavy. I don't think density necessarily affects the rigidity of a shaft, some whippy shafts too can be quite dense and some stiff shafts not so, same with the weight of a whippy cue over a rigid cue.

Comment

to be honest the idea of weighing them was because i was thinking of pre weighting them, drilling before anything else is done so i wouldnt be in danger of splitting splices as i have done in the past

Comment

you don't say if they are ash or maple shafts Jim... don't know if this would matter tho.
          Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

all ash shafts warren

Comment

Yes Jim I would go along with that, the heavier would make the more stiffer cue, if all were made with same taper.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Working...
              X