Ash shaft stiffen over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thienyo12 View Post
    Thanks alot for the reply, I really appreciate it!

Just to touch on about oils, Does applying oil mean that your adding more % in regards to moisture to the wood? Would that also affect the stiffness/appearance(colour shaft)?

Thanks guys

Wood finishing oils will cure (or oxidize) on exposure to air over time, so don't really add anything to the moisture content which is within the structure and cells of the timber. There is no such thing as "special cue oil", it's just wood finishing oil....Fact. Whether there is any blending or mixing of them is irrelevant, it's still wood finishing oils, which are readily available to anyone if you wish to spend the time reading up about what they do and how to use them. It's no big secret.

Yes, oils can soften the timber a little but it's so slight and immeasurable, and, so slow a process, that it isn't worth giving any though to. The colour of some timbers will darken considerably if you use certain oils, and not so much with others.

As I said, read up on it, it's not rocket science.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
      I'd be more worried about spending that much money on an ultimate and waiting that long for it only to find it has a whippy shaft or like the one on ADRs thread, wasn't very good in his opinion.
      Thats true, but there really isnt much I can do now but get use to it.
      Buying this cue really hit me hard. Additional costs, duties, qurantine costs, customs possession costs and the experience I had with JP etc. and now the cue isn't that 'great'.

The shaft feels real light when not attached to the butt, on certain shots it feels as though the cue takes a slight bend.

Comment

Sorry to hear that and sometimes we do grow to like cues that seem awkward at first, hope that's the case for you, if not you might be able to get close to what you paid for it.

I've said before, looking at the prices of some hand made cues compared with what you can get for some of the less 'renowned' names, with the top end prices you're almost paying the premium for the badge.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
          Sorry to hear that and sometimes we do grow to like cues that seem awkward at first, hope that's the case for you, if not you might be able to get close to what you paid for it.

I've said before, looking at the prices of some hand made cues compared with what you can get for some of the less 'renowned' names, with the top end prices you're almost paying the premium for the badge.
          I completely agree with you. Ive had numerous cues through my life being mastercraft, hunt and osbourne green plate, to my previous ultimate, I intended to have my current ultimate as my last and final cue with my name on it, basing my old and preferred specs to it. Turns out the cues light and abit whippey, I guess time will tell.

Cheers for the posts guys appreciate it!

Comment

In the unlikely event that your cue is not suitable i.e. too light, too heavy or you just cannot get along with it, you have a two week trial period in which as long as the cue is still in perfect condition you may exchange it for another one, ( subject to any postal cost and excluding cues with unusual dimension’s)

We are totally committed to happy customers.
            From the Parris faq

Any pics of your cue btw? Don't think ive seen any.
            Last edited by narl; 22 October 2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

thienyo12:

I happen to prefer whippy cues myself, or at least cues that are not considered 'stiff'. I have a very nice Exquisite cue here which is 57", 18.4oz, 3/4 with ash shaft, 9.5mm brass ferrule and 29mm butt diameter. Butt is ebony with 4 tulipwood splices and the joint is an H&O joint. Cue has 2 extensions but I find it much too stiff for me to use and it's just sitting here.

If the specs on your JPU are close to the above would you be willing to do some sort of trade? Since you're not happy with the JPU and have probably gone past his exchange date perhaps this trade would solve your problem.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
              X