H & O square badged cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Jmoinen View Post
    I just love the square badge and the cue is simply breathtakingly beautiful! Looks as if it was brand new too..The most stunning H & O ive ever seen for sure...
    Thankyou

Comment

I am sure that is an Aeon joint . I have an Aeon " spiraloc as a 4/5 joint on one of my centre joint Aeons and it is the same " double ring design ". I also have a Garrison ( Aeons parent company ) that was a " trade sample " that Dennis used to show H & O the quality of his work , 3/4 and again spiraloc , " double ring " joint.You can see the H & O lineage in this cue in the butt shape. Strange thing is the black spacer between the two brass faces is not timber , it appears to be resin or phenolic of some kind and I dont know if it was used as a shock absorber or to protect the joint faces or what, interesting design though and light years ahead of its time.

Comment

Thanks for your insight, any pics of your Garrison ??

Comment

PM me e-mail address , sure I have some somewhere.

Comment

The spiro loc came in a few options metal to metal, metal with single black ring and metal with double black ring, as the joint is quick release the metal to metal sometimes was difficult to keep tight and didn't always age well, although it was a great joint ahead of its time and still is a great joint mean its probably more suited to being an sd joint for extensions as its mostly now used for today.
            The black ring did help the joint hold tight and lock nicer and always worked better in my opinion as just felt more solid, back in the day the spiro was always known as the quick release joint and was an option for aeon & h & o cues.
            Last edited by CueAntW147; 31 October 2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for pics old school
              And cheers Ant, some very knowledgeable people on here

Comment

Not a problem , John . There are some really knowlegeable people on here and I will also tip my hat to Ant as he has been very helpful to me in the past , one of the good guys , not ceded enough credit sometimes. I have looked at old Hunt and O Byrne cues and modern Robert Osbourne cues and I must say that , fundamentally, that Garrison ( shape wise ) could be seen as " Genesis ".The cue is very simple and well made and is probably one of only a handfull left , but to me it is an important example of the history of a , now ,modern cue company.Glad you liked the j.pegs.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                  Not a problem , John . There are some really knowlegeable people on here and I will also tip my hat to Ant as he has been very helpful to me in the past , one of the good guys , not ceded enough credit sometimes. I have looked at old Hunt and O Byrne cues and modern Robert Osbourne cues and I must say that , fundamentally, that Garrison ( shape wise ) could be seen as " Genesis ".The cue is very simple and well made and is probably one of only a handfull left , but to me it is an important example of the history of a , now ,modern cue company.Glad you liked the j.pegs.
                  Thanks for the kind words mate, we all help each other sharing knowledge thats all that matters and what makes the forum great sometimes.
                  Dennis Garrison ( Aeon cues ) used his engineering background to design, create and patent to this day the spiro joint, and although aeon used various joints it pretty much became the standard joint for aeons top cues, also back then if people wanted extensions which were usually just long wooden extensions to screw into the 3/4 shaft joint is was the favoured one then on aeon and h & o cues as aeon did work for h & o in making some of their cues as well as providing the spiro/quick release joint.

Anyway history lesson over..........lol don't want to hijack thread......;-)

Comment

Can't beat a bit of cue history mate

Comment

Great information, gents, thanks.
                      With information like that, hijack away I say
                      Can you share the Garrison pictures on here as well?
                      I was thinking that with the spiro lock and the short ebony splices (as per narl) that this cue was an Aeon-H&Ob cue, ?

Anyone come up with info about the use of/years used, of the square badge vs. disc?
                      cheers all
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi , John , I have done some more research on the patent office website.Dennis Garrison is listed as the inventor along with Gary Drage and holds the patent of the spiroloc joint.There is a " priority " date of 4/7/90 and another date , " date of filing" of 1/7/91. I am sure you know patents take time and I do not know how soon after invention the patent was applied for but , to answer one of Deans questions , I think it is safe to assume mid eighties as a point of reference when trying to age a cue ( H&O in particular) with this style of joint.Your date of 1990 on your cue seems accurate , using this criteria , hope this helps. p.s. If anyone is interested go on the Espacenet web site , type in Dennis Garrison and the original documentation and drawings are all there.
                        Last edited by old school; 6 November 2012, 10:29 AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Great info, thankyou very much

Comment

Working...
                          X