Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchy subject perhaps but who makes the best UK cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll add Exquisite when I do the spreadsheet this is starting to pan out , cuesmiths --- nobody's going to mind if you support your skills in fact I think you should there's pride in being a craftsman and artist I would hope, sellers yes this can be delicate so I understand if guys like ADR stay silent no problem I didn't intend ever for this poll to create any conflict of interest, lurkers come on type a name It's not like your going to get slammed It's a personal opinion which we're all intitled to
    Last edited by allanr5; 28 October 2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

IN all fairness I will include any UK cue --- Riley , Peradon Etc it seems that especially with some of their vintage products there's merit to be inclused Thanks

Comment

ah, I think people thought you meant current cue makers, not old brands like H&Ob or H&Os, B&W, etc.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

had lots of good cues by many makers but the cue i liked the most was made by robin cook.

Comment

It's Trevor White for me with Mike Wooldridge a very close second....

Comment

My Robin Cook is just as good as the Trevor White i had (which was a bit short for me otherwise i would of kept it) and i'm 100% sure my upcoming Mike wooldridge will be just as good too (possibly better )

Comment

Originally Posted by allanr5 View Post
                If it's possible that I get 50 to 100 responses , like I said I just need a name I'll do up a spreadsheet and post it, this is the "cue site" after all and it's just for fun TW in the lead so far
                this has been done before!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I'll add Exquisite when I do the spreadsheet this is starting to pan out , cuesmiths --- nobody's going to mind if you support your skills in fact I think you should there's pride in being a craftsman and artist I would hope, sellers yes this can be delicate so I understand if guys like ADR stay silent no problem I didn't intend ever for this poll to create any conflict of interest, lurkers come on type a name It's not like your going to get slammed It's a personal opinion which we're all intitled to
                  as for staying quiet - that's because i actually know the answers !

Comment

IN all fairness I will include any UK cue --- Riley , Peradon Etc it seems that especially with some of their vintage products there's merit to be inclused Thanks
                    watching the seniors this weekend and Tony Chappel is using a modern Riley cue, like something you'd get out of a sports shop or catalogue. Not stopped him reaching the semi finals though!

Comment

Very hard question to answer, if there is an actual answer to it.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                        Very hard question to answer, if there is an actual answer to it.
                        Yes very true, in reality there are maybe 15 or 20 people who could in theory make a perfect cue,so the question becomes about on average.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                          watching the seniors this weekend and Tony Chappel is using a modern Riley cue, like something you'd get out of a sports shop or catalogue. Not stopped him reaching the semi finals though!
                          Looked very much like an 70/80's Powerglide to me, like Hendry's original cue only Ash.

Comment

Hi (1) Mike Wooldridge (2) Tony Glover

Comment

im playing with lovely 1pc JP special cue at the moment and loving everything about it ! also im in 18 month wait for an ultimate cue from John ! its been a loooooooooong wait and hopefully itll be well worth it when its over!

anyhow my vote will go to Trevor White as that gentleman make some top notch cues i tell ya!!! ive had 5 cues made by Trevor and every time he delivered a thing of beauty .
                              its a shame i couldn't get used to none of them

also my vote will go for JP/Robert Osbourne/Stamford/MW/Dave Coutts/RobinCook and other less known cuemakers as all of these cuemakers are more then capable of delivering a quality playing cue.

In my humble opinion its does not matter who made the cue but ultimately player behind it .
                              Last edited by 147alltheway; 29 October 2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Surely the answer you will get from the accumulative opinions is "What's the best cue (in your subjective opinion) that you have owned/used?" and not "Who makes the best cue?". Unless everyone has used a few cues made by every cuemaker they wouldn't have the necessary variables to deduce a definitive opinion. "Who makes the best cue?" implies that the outcome is a fact but it wouldn't be a fact, merely a probability based on limited experience and personal opinion. The majority opinion on here is also going to be swayed by what cues they have bought via the forums and by other people's opinion. If more people on here own a cue made by cuemaker X because of following other people opinions, advice, etc, then they will say cuemaker X. If you asked every single person that has ever played snooker you will get the name of whatever the leading brand of cue is. If you asked 10 people in a local pool hall you will probably say whoever is local to them. It's unrealistic to expect to compile a list of cuemakers in order of how good their cues are. That's the kind of logic that makes people buy certain goods, doesn't mean they are better, it just means they are promoted better, have an illusion of being better because others say they are but not being experts they really just buy the most popular variable thrust in the limelight.

I checked the thread because eventually I am looking to buy a new cue. I have played with some of the above cues, that friends of mine own, but I haven't heard of some of the cuemakers that you mention, so I personally can't offer an opinion. All I would be doing is naming the cues that I have used and felt were among the best that I have used.

Comment

Working...
                                X