No announcement yet.

Arataki cues in South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the budget LP or other HK cues may look hand-spliced with ebony but are actually painted black, not that it affects their playability.

Comment

But you cant compare these cues to china or thai made cues... They have 2 guys making their cues... ao it is not mass manufactured and the craftmansgip is much better... keep watching this space... I will let you know once the website is up and running

Comment

may i ask are you from s a and are you involved with them

Comment

First few posts 'look at these great cues'...next post 'ill be selling these soon on a website'...

It don't take Columbo...

Sanman might have heard of them...
          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
            Is there any real reason why a lot of 3/4 cues are made with a large chunk of crossover before the splices start to appear? Always thought it looked much better with about an inch max of crossover then the splices being around 6" or so. Some of the cues in those pics have pretty stubby upper splices coupled with pretty large crossovers, not a good look imo. =/
            What does "crossover" mean..?

Comment

Amount of ebony above the joint before the splices begin is my assumption.
              Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

The term "crossover" is something that stemmed from a conversation with John Parris around 1997 or 1998, at the time i was ordering a special 3/4 cue and never liked the way there was a few inches of ebony before the actual splice points appeared on the shaft of the cue. Couple a bad phone line and a (at the time) teenage Belfast accent into this and i think John was having some trouble understanding what i meant, then he said something along the lines of "oh the crossover".

Im not really sure what it means exactly but im assuming its to do with when the splices get glued onto the cue the pair that go on last sort of sit over the top of the others, or "crossover" the others. Can see it easier on Robert Osbournes cue production gallery when he adds the "wide splices" to the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                  First few posts 'look at these great cues'...next post 'ill be selling these soon on a website'...

It don't take Columbo...

Sanman might have heard of them...
                  I have heard it mentioned once. Havent seen any though and these pics in their facebook are the first I have seen of their work. That being said I wont pass comment on their work as I havent played or seen any of their work.

There are very few guys who make cues in South Africa. Just find it hard how one can make a handmadecue and sell for a 1000 rands(65-70 pounds) in South Africa and still be profitable.

Comment

There are many people in SA who aren't willing or can't afford to buy cues that are above R800 (55 - 60 pounds), so to target the lower market they make "cheaper" cues.

And I am not working with Arataki... I have started my own cue company though, and am aiming to get a few cues from each cuemaker in SA to have exposure to players in my province where neither pool nor snooker are that big yet. But I am a fan of Arataki.

Comment

Originally Posted by MDPrins View Post
                      There are many people in SA who aren't willing or can't afford to buy cues that are above R800 (55 - 60 pounds), so to target the lower market they make "cheaper" cues.

And I am not working with Arataki... I have started my own cue company though, and am aiming to get a few cues from each cuemaker in SA to have exposure to players in my province where neither pool nor snooker are that big yet. But I am a fan of Arataki.
                      Still doesnt answer the question as to how one makes a cue and still be profiitable at 60 pounds or less for a handmade cue but all the best to them.

Comment

I spoke to a guy who makes cues in his spare time ...and he told me that it cost him roundabout R150 (10 - 12 pounds) to make a cheap (i.e. no exotic woods or ebony) cue + labour... (That is shaft, butt, one splice, tip and ferrel, sand paper etc)
                        ...And that is how they are able to still be profitable...

Comment

doing well it costs more than that for a shaft and shoe leather here

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                            doing well it costs more than that for a shaft and shoe leather here
                            ash and maple and most cue making woods are imported here. so probably costs more here for shaft and shoe leather here as well lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X