Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue tips

HI

I want buy a new JP regal CUE IM 158 cm height and 40 kg what is the best cue weight and height for me

TNX

I would strongly recommend before buying any expensive cue that you spend some time in a snooker hall experimenting with different types of cues to see what does suit you best.

Do you expect to grow any taller in the future?

If you are over five foot you can use a standard length cue, if you spend plenty on a short cue but later wish to change it it may have the fraction of the resale value a standard length cue would have.

I would say at the prices you have to be precisely sure what you want with ordering more expensive cues unless money is not important to you.

Comment

Only you will know and you will have to find out , no one can tell you that , sorry if it comes across at short sighted and blund but i beleive its right .

Comment

I think 18 oz / 145 cm is right for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by ali_tanavar View Post
          Can i ask how you decided that .

Comment

Have a friend or someone take a tape measure and measure the distance from the floor to 1'' below the top of your shoulder with you standing up straight this is the "Text Book" method for cue length its a least a place to start, weight is as said earlier varies and you'll have to experiment, carry a small tape measure with you when you try different cues and you find a good fit measure it, between 57" and 58" is the most common but the range can be 55" to 60", weight below 15oz is unusual but not unheard of, I think 21 to 22oz is the very upper limit for snooker cues, the most common range to me seems between 17.5 and 19.5 on average but everyone is different so again experiment before you sink any serious money into a cue, there are some relatively inexpensive cues out there that allow you to alter the weight which may help you I've never tried one so say I can't say if the're effective hope this helps
            Last edited by allanr5; 2 November 2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

He's said on another thread he is 15 and just about 5ft so he will be growing - unless money is no object, he is playing tournaments and/or doesn't mind changing his cue often, he shouldn't go near a shorter than standard JP or any expensive cue for that matter.

JP cues don't improve your game any more than a £50 China or Riley cue, practice and ability does that.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                Can i ask how you decided that .
                im trying my friends cues

Comment

sberry ---- words of wisdom and if he was playing tournaments he should already know to some degree of a good fit actually I wish I had of read this post a little more carefully --- if you already know the answer then why ask the question kinda feel silly going to the trouble of offerig advice on cue selection oh well, gonna bail on this post bye
                  Last edited by allanr5; 2 November 2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I would say 57" should be a bit longer at your height because in general the grip should be 1 to 2 inches from the end of cue for normal shots and I believe you have to hold at least 4 inches. Of course, different people may have a little difference in stance and bridge length that they used to and therefore agree with the others that you need to try out.

Comment

Originally Posted by ali_tanavar View Post
                      Before you decide to buy your cue, you may want to consider my mastercraft retribution cue. It's 54" /137cm and 17oz. Very close to your spec. Hit me up at limengsoon88@live.com.sg if you are keen.

Comment

I read on jp website that the standard weight of cue is 18 /20 oz and 57'' / 58'' are suitable for most players

Comment

57/58 is the standard cue length but I would say the average weight would be 17-18oz and that 19 and upwards is considered heavy and under 17 is considered light.

Can I ask if you actually play the game and if so to what standard as your questions indicate you do not?

JP and other custom cues are great works of art and excellent equipment but not necessary until you have mastered the game to some extent and can consider yourself a good all round player who knows exactly what you need from a cue. They don't help you pot balls any more than a £50 cue can.

You're probably going to grow taller so a short cue would be temporary and difficult to sell or you would be left with an expensive cue that doesn't suit you.

If money is no object and you'd rather be the person with the nicest cue in the club who everybody beats with their bad cues, go for it, but I would say leave the expensive cues out until you can do them justice, it can be quite demoralising having the best equipment but not the ability to beat people with poor equipment. Spend the money on table time and some coaching.

Don't mean to be harsh but that's the way I see it, good luck.

Comment

Watching the Lu Haotian match this week who is probably around the same height and build I think he uses a full size cue. I don't see the point in using a smaller cue that you may only use for a year or two before growing out of it and then having to either get it lengthened and throwing the balance and weight out or having to buy another cue and adapt to that.

I would just buy a cue at 57" and go for roughly 18-19 oz in weight. Trying to measure up for a cue when you are growing is never a good option because as you grow your cue will hinder your progress being too short for you and can start to develop bad habits.
                            Last edited by cueman; 3 November 2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X