Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slighly loose ferrule on my TW

Hi all,
    My beloved TW thats less than a couple of years old has developed a slightly loose ferrule. I only became alerted to it because a few tinny sounding shots whilst compiling a nice 60 break yesterday.
    I can slightly retighten it by twisting it but its only a short term fix.
    I have contacted trevor but i'm unsure if i will get a quick reply. Anyone known the best way of sorting it out?
    Im reluctant to mess with it right now as I'm right in the middle of the snooker league season.

All suggestions and experiences welcome.
    It did cross my mind to ask MW to fit a retrospective blackspin 😌

Best to heat the ferrule up to loosen glue and swell it slighlty so its easier to remove, can use hot iron or flame but have to be very careful not to scortch or heat up the wood too much. Twist it off then let it cool, reglue if ferrule looks ok, or replace with new ferrule using good quality epoxy such as Devcon or araldite.

Probably best to get a it repaired properly if your not sure..

Comment

doesn't trevor do an 'interference' fit with no glue?

i mean the ferrule is a little smaller than wood so it gets knocked on and 'squashes' the wood making a firm 'friction' fit.

i'm probably wrong but for some reason i had this in my head. i think i saw on robert osbornes video he does them like that.

or am i just dreaming all this?...
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

i mean the ferrule is a little smaller than wood so it gets knocked on and 'squashes' the wood making a firm 'friction' fit.

i'm probably wrong but for some reason i had this in my head. i think i saw on robert osbornes video he does them like that.

Nope they are bonded.

Mike, I tried to send you a PM, but somehow it doesn't show up in sent items, so I'm not sure if it went.

Will send an email to the addy below in a mo, if you could take a look, I'd appreciate it.

Ta.

Comment

Rob glues his on Mike although its still a tight fit!

Comment

lol. so it was a dream...
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
              Rob glues his on Mike although its still a tight fit!
              am i right about knocking them on though?

what glue does he use then, superglue? must be something very thin cos there wouldn't exactly be any 'key' for the glue?

i'm just curious. i remember mac chambers telling me he done them interference fit style with no glue.
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Slighly loose ferrule on my TW

To be honest I think 3years on one ferrule is good going if your a heavy player. I've had my wooldridge since 07 and I've had 3 ferrules including the original. I do play a fair bit and like to make sure object ball knows I mean business.

Personally I install my ferrules as an interference fit but I also 'key' the tennon with the point of a razor blade on the lathe and shot blast the inside of the ferrule before I assemble with a toughened epoxy. It works well for me. The twice I've replaced the ferrule is because it started sloping to one side and splitting the shaft.

Back to the original post hehe. Unless you're super confident in what your doing get the cue to a cue maker as they're sure to face the ferrule too.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

One of the Parris vids has a ferrule being tapped on like that, the "Ronnies Cue" vid.
                  Last edited by narl; 8 November 2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X